[Solved] VPS slow (and CPU at 100% during operations)

maicol07

Hi,

recently, when multiple commands are executed in the VPS (for example sending a POST request from a PHP script or executing any shell command) always increase CPU load to 100%.

Also, loading PHP pages is slow. Can this be related to the VPS network and SSD which will be upgraded when the fundraiser finishes?

Do you have any fix I can try in the meantime?

Thanks

Edited by maicol07

Thanks for noticing this. I checked all the other VPS on your server, and found that one of them was locked up with 100% swap usage and 100% cpu usage which was causing all the other VPS to run slowly. I'm restarting the problematic VPS now. Let us know if the performance improves.

Thanks for noticing this. I checked all the other VPS on your server, and found that one of them was locked up with 100% swap usage and 100% cpu usage which was causing all the other VPS to run slowly. I'm restarting the problematic VPS now. Let us know if the performance improves.

It seems that this improved. CPU usage now is most of the time below 80%.

This issue prompted me to write a script that will monitor the CPU usage of the VPS and send me a notification if one is hogging too many resources. Hopefully this will help prevent it from happening again in the future, or at least reduce the duration of the slowdown.

Yeah, it's the same guy over and over. The first 2 times his VPS was locked up and swapping, so a reboot was a good thing to do in that situation. He keeps running some process that uses a lot of CPU though. I've restarted it a few times even though it isn't locked up. The load goes away for a while, but then he starts the process again manually probably and the load goes through the roof again. I'm going to try throttling his CPU now. If that doesn't help I guess I'll have to write him an email about it.

To give you some idea how much load this guy is causing, Johnny has 3190 accounts right now and this 1 VPS is causing more load than all of them combined.

Throttling him to some tiny portion of the server should give it room to breathe...VMware does a pretty good job at constraining vms when you throttle them. You can also lower a VM's priority I believe, which would let him have flexibility when the server is quiet but make him wait when others have things to do.

The fact he's managing to produce more load than the entirety of Johnny is just flat out absurd. There isn't even anywhere to really go in terms of a better plan for him either...unless we decide to start offering dedicated servers...