500 Internal Server Error

eeze

I seem to be getting a significant number of 500 errors on HelioHost that last between 5-10 minutes. I switched less than a week ago so I am not sure how it is around here. Is this just a normal thing or am I using too much resources with my account?

I've also noticed that my phpmyadmin loads incredibly slow and sometimes is at fault with database connection errors.

I am running a single wordpress installation with 15 plugins installed most of which shouldn't be too resource heavy. Disabling the plugins didnt seem to make much of a difference. This site was transferred from a different host. Error logs are blank.

If a mod would like to look at my situation please PM me so I can provide you with account information. Thank you.

I'm having the same problem as you eeze. Yesterday I couldn't access my Wordpress dashboard or my website kept getting a 500 Internal Server Error. Not sure if this is related to Stevie crashing a few weeks ago as I can't edit my website as Innodb tables went into read only mode. I tried to import a edited database earlier but got a #2002 Connection to server error message. However my dashboard and website are now loading. I do get Internal Server Errors occasionally, but give it a couple of minutes and it works fine.

By the description of the problem, I'll guess you're on Stevie. PhpMyAdmin is always slow on Stevie. As for the #2002, the database server is broken on Stevie at the moment due to a crash 5 weeks ago. The repair is still in progress. You see that error if you try to use PMA while the mysql server isn't working (it goes up and down a lot due to the damage caused by the crash.)

The 500 errors are likely high load or hitting your process limit, especially if they started appearing out of nowhere and go away on their own. Note that logging into cPanel on Stevie may cause a 500 error on your website.

Also, please post your cpanel username (but not your password), your server, and your domain so we can look at the issue. There is no need to PM it someone. In fact, PMing it to someone makes it more difficult for us to help you, as more than one of us may take a look at the issue.

I'm having the same problem as you eeze. Yesterday I couldn't access my Wordpress dashboard or my website kept getting a 500 Internal Server Error. Not sure if this is related to Stevie crashing a few weeks ago as I can't edit my website as Innodb tables went into read only mode. I tried to import a edited database earlier but got a #2002 Connection to server error message. However my dashboard and website are now loading. I do get Internal Server Errors occasionally, but give it a couple of minutes and it works fine.

Thanks Robdog for the information!

By the description of the problem, I'll guess you're on Stevie. PhpMyAdmin is always slow on Stevie. As for the #2002, the database server is broken on Stevie at the moment due to a crash 5 weeks ago. The repair is still in progress. You see that error if you try to use PMA while the mysql server isn't working (it goes up and down a lot due to the damage caused by the crash.) The 500 errors are likely high load or hitting your process limit, especially if they started appearing out of nowhere and go away on their own. Note that logging into cPanel on Stevie may cause a 500 error on your website. Also, please post your cpanel username (but not your password), your server, and your domain so we can look at the issue. There is no need to PM it someone. In fact, PMing it to someone makes it more difficult for us to help you, as more than one of us may take a look at the issue.

Thanks wolstech for the information! I am infact on Stevie and apologize for the lack of detail. I have reduced my plugin count to 10 and have installed a cache plugin to reduce my dependence on the database. I guess the whole cpanel+500 glitch explains why I am having 500s so frequently haha.

Is this the mysql server issue you are referring to?

http://www.helionet.org/index/topic/18447-mysql-issues/

User: almazden

Server: Stevie

Domain: almazdentistry.com

Thanks again guys!

That is indeed the issue I am speaking of.

Also, your website is currently working fine. (I see this: http://imgur.com/FOZTxaC) And yes, being in cP a lot will do that to your site. A cache isn't a bad idea for now since the DB server is broken. We're hoping we'll get this fixed soon, but there is no timeline for repairs to be complete unfortunately.

That is indeed the issue I am speaking of. Also, your website is currently working fine. (I see this: http://imgur.com/FOZTxaC) And yes, being in cP a lot will do that to your site. A cache isn't a bad idea for now since the DB server is broken. We're hoping we'll get this fixed soon, but there is no timeline for repairs to be complete unfortunately.

Great thank you! Completely understandable! For the pricetag I can be fairly patient :P

The 500 errors are likely high load or hitting your process limit, especially if they started appearing out of nowhere and go away on their own.

Can you please explain what process limit means? I am getting those 500 errors randomly as well. my username is hussamt.

Each page load, each cPanel connection, each FTP connection, and every file upload/download/etc. is considered a process. Most processes, like page loads, last only a few seconds and require little of the server's resources. However, cPanel and FTP connections keep their processes "alive" until the user logs out or the connection is closed.

To prevent one user from hogging more server resources from other users, users have process limits. Once that limit is reached, new ones can't be started. When you get a 500 error, you most likely have a combination of cPanel, FTP, phpMyAdmin, etc. open, which prevents page load processes from starting.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I didn't want to start a new topic as it seems that others are having similar issues as well.

Username: fairtrek

Server: Stevie

Domain: fairtrek.heliohost.org

I am using a heliohost domain whilst under construction.

Basically I get the following error when I try to go the webpage:

Database Error: Unable to connect to the Database: Could not connect to MySQL.

I have also had the 500 error but that seems to have disappeared now.

I did 'Check DB' and it turned a few errors, so I pressed 'Repair DB' in cPanel. I can log into to both cPanel and phpMyAdmin.

Please could you advise what might be the problem and a fix?

Thanks,

No, shouldn't be

but in phpMyAdmin it says: Server: Localhost via UNIX socket

I have just noticed that my database fairtrek_ft is showing as 0.00Mb on MySQL databases. That doesn't seem right. Also regarding localhost, it was never set up to use the database on my computer. I have not changed any settings since I last went on to the site and into cPanel, apart from the check DB and Repair DB actions.

Thanks for this, that makes it clearer. OK, in that case would you be able to tell me what might resolve my issue? As I said above the access to the fairtrek.heliohost.org site was fine until recently and now it just doesn't work. Is there something that I can reset or reload that might resolve this?

I have just tried again and the page that was delivered was this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@fairtrek.heliohost.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.