[Solved] Redirecting my domain name to heliohost

Hello!
I would like to redirect my external domain name to heliohost.
Do you think it would be possible to redirect main.st4lwolf.org to st4lwolf.helioho.st?
Do I need to do anything in particular?
Thank you very much, have a nice day! :)

Since we're not hosting main.st4lwolf.org, you would need to create your own redirect using whichever service main.st4lwolf.org is on to create an HTTP 301 redirect to st4lwolf.helioho.st. Alternatively, you can set main.st4lwolf.org to point to Johnny's IP address using an A record or set your nameservers to HelioHost's, and we can then host your custom domain.

@MoneyBroz Your solution won't work because it only captures one file, and points it to the wrong place anyway. Even if you fix the target, a user visiting /someotherfile.html won't be redirected using that code.

For .htaccess, I think you'd actually want one of these (both should be placed on the old domain's web server):

To carry the request to a new domain (e.g. olddomain.com/somefile.html becomes newdomain.com/somefile.html)

RewriteEngine On
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^olddomain.com$ [NC,OR]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.olddomain.com$
  RewriteRule (.*)$ https://newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Or to ignore the requested page and send everything to the homepage of the new domain:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://newdomain.com/ [R=301]

Hello, thank you for your very precise answers! :D
I think my basic answer wasn't very clear 🤔
Actually I own a domain (st4lwolf.org), and I would like to see if it would be possible to assign its subdomain main.st4lwolf.org to heliohost (usually, I think you do that with an ns record in the dns zone)

On 4/4/2024 at 11:49 AM, Unknown025 said:

Since we're not hosting main.st4lwolf.org, you would need to create your own redirect using whichever service main.st4lwolf.org is on to create an HTTP 301 redirect to st4lwolf.helioho.st. Alternatively, you can set main.st4lwolf.org to point to Johnny's IP address using an A record or set your nameservers to HelioHost's, and we can then host your custom domain.

I tried your solution of creating an a record to the heliohost ip address, but this configuration redirects to the service's home page as I have the ip address of the home page, but not the precise address of st4lwolf.helioho.st . Thank you for taking the time to reply! ^^

On 4/4/2024 at 5:34 PM, wolstech said:

@MoneyBroz Your solution won't work because it only captures one file, and points it to the wrong place anyway. Even if you fix the target, a user visiting /someotherfile.html won't be redirected using that code.

For .htaccess, I think you'd actually want one of these (both should be placed on the old domain's web server):

To carry the request to a new domain (e.g. olddomain.com/somefile.html becomes newdomain.com/somefile.html)

RewriteEngine On
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^olddomain.com$ [NC,OR]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.olddomain.com$
  RewriteRule (.*)$ https://newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Or to ignore the requested page and send everything to the homepage of the new domain:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://newdomain.com/ [R=301]

I also tried your solutions, everything worked, thank you also for your answers! But my aim is to associate main.st4lwolf.org with st4lwolf.helioho.st . With this in mind, do I have to redirect my dns zones to heliohost? Or is there another way, by creating an ns redirect for example?

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to reply, and have a good day/evening! :D

Actually I own a domain (st4lwolf.org), and I would like to see if it would be possible to assign its subdomain main.st4lwolf.org to heliohost (usually, I think you do that with an ns record in the dns zone)

Are you saying you just want a single subdomain of your domain (main.st4lwolf.org) added to your account while the root (st4lwolf.org) is hosted elsewhere?We can do that.

You can just create an A and AAAA record for main.st4lwolf.org (on whatever DNS server you already use) to point the one subdomain to our servers. That way the main.st4lwolf.org subdomain will be hosted here, but the root st4lwolf.org won't.

Do you want me to add the domain? If so, do you want it to be an alias (show same content as) st4lwolf.helioho.st, or do you want it as an addon (separate website) on your account?

19 hours ago, wolstech said:

Are you saying you just want a single subdomain of your domain (main.st4lwolf.org) added to your account while the root (st4lwolf.org) is hosted elsewhere?We can do that.

You can just create an A and AAAA record for main.st4lwolf.org (on whatever DNS server you already use) to point the one subdomain to our servers. That way the main.st4lwolf.org subdomain will be hosted here, but the root st4lwolf.org won't.

Do you want me to add the domain? If so, do you want it to be an alias (show same content as) st4lwolf.helioho.st, or do you want it as an addon (separate website) on your account?

Yes, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for!

I've added the A and AAAA records pointing to johnny, as you told me, thanks for your instructions.
If possible I would like you to add main.st4lwolf.org as an alias for st4lwolf.helioho.st :)
Thanks a lot!