[Solved] install request, django and web admin (cpanel?)

tschmidt

I just created a new account and would like to have django and cpanel, or another web admin tool, installed.

Thanks,
tschmidt

Um, apologies for the questions but:

1. Did you get an invite to make a new account? When you get the invite, you will have access to Plesk panel on shared hosting. If I recall correctly, Django is already installed. An admin can correct me if I'm wrong.
  2. If not, was this a VPS? These things can usually be installed on your own, although cPanel and Plesk will be a monthly charge.

Please note, making a forum account does not mean you have hosting with us.

Django is not available at the moment on the shared hosting. It's on the to do list though.

If he's a VPS customer, the best way to get support for the VPS is to reply to the welcome email. That goes directly to the VPS team, whereas posting on the forum means you'll likely need to wait for Krydos to see it. That said, if you are a VPS user, a common choice for a control panel is hestia since it's free.

Plesk on a VPS is I think $11/month extra to cover its license (Krydos can confirm), and I'm not sure we would even offer cpanel considering what they did to us. Obviously none of this applies to shared hosting where you get access to the user half of Plesk as part of your account.

I tried to install hestia since it's free. Ā 

I got stuck at FQDN. Ā I have a domain (rf5.co) that I just updated to point to your namservers. Ā Anything else I need to do for the domain or hestia install?

8 minutes ago, tschmidt said:

I tried to install hestia since it's free. Ā 

I got stuck at FQDN. Ā I have a domain (rf5.co) that I just updated to point to your namservers. Ā Anything else I need to do for the domain or Hestia install?

the domain should be pointed at the IP address of your VPS. That way you will be able to login using the domain rather than the IP address

8 minutes ago, Jenova said:

the domain should be pointed at the IP address of your VPS. That way you will be able to login using the domain rather than the IP address

Can you add my IP 64.71.153.121 for rf5.coĀ to your nameservers?Ā  Ā It looks like the DNS already propagated.

17 minutes ago, tschmidt said:

I got stuck at FQDN.

Each VPS also comes with a free domain that you can use if you want that is listed in the welcome email. Yours is vps57.heliohost.us. If you don't want to use it for anything you don't have to though and you can just ignore it.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:36 PM, tschmidt said:

or another web admin tool, installed.

I have installed Hestia control panel for you. I emailed the url and credentials to log in to you.

8 minutes ago, tschmidt said:

Can you add my IP 64.71.153.121 for rf5.coĀ to your nameservers?Ā  Ā It looks like the DNS already propagated.

The domain rf5.co has been added to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org and the correct A record has been created. If you need any changes to your DNS just let us know. There is no way for you to edit yourself at this time, but that's a feature we hope to add some day.

17 hours ago, wolstech said:

If he's a VPS customer, the best way to get support for the VPS is to reply to the welcome email. That goes directly to the VPS team, whereas posting on the forum means you'll likely need to wait for Krydos to see it.

We actually changed that recently. The welcome email comes from support@heliohost.org now so if they reply to that email it goes to the forum anyways.

22 hours ago, Jenova said:

If I recall correctly, Django is already installed. An admin can correct me if I'm wrong.

Django isn't installed on Plesk yet, but it will be before much longer. I did install Python 3.10, Python 3.6, and Python 2.7 though so shared hosting users can do Python cgi and bots and whatnot already. Flask and Django will come soon.

17 hours ago, wolstech said:

I'm not sure we would even offer cpanel considering what they did to us.

There is only one VPS customer that insisted on using cPanel despite my best arguments that he should use literally anything else. Everyone else that has asked about it I have convinced to use something else. It may not be much, but I'll do everything in my power to hasten cPanel's demise until they go out of business.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:36 PM, tschmidt said:

I just created a new account and would like to have django

Welcome to HelioHost!

I added your domain to Hestia, installed SSL, installed Django, and set up a sample Django app on your domain. You can see it running atĀ https://rf5.co/

Your SSH username is tschmidt like you chose during signup, but your Hestia has 2 usernames. The system administrator username is admin, and I created a Hestia user for you as well. The Hestia user and the SSH user can't be the same so I named the Hestia user tony. If you need to run some SSH commands such as installing something log in to SSH as tschmidt. If you need to edit the files on your domain you can do so through Hestia control panel as tony. I know it's a little confusing with all the different usernames.

Django is running on port 8000 currently in a screen. To stop Django log in to SSH as tschmidt, run "sudo su" command which will ask your for your password that you picked during signup on our website. Then once you're root you can run the command "screen -Dr django" to access the running Django app, and hit Ctrl-C to stop it. Let us know if you have any problems with any of this. For the Hestia login I have emailed you your starting password which you can use to login to Hestia at the urlĀ https://vps57.heliohost.us:8083/Ā I recommend changing the default password because email isn't very secure.

Let us know if you have any questions about anything or if you need help with anything.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 10:46 PM, Krydos said:

Each VPS also comes with a free domain that you can use if you want that is listed in the welcome email. Yours is vps57.heliohost.us. If you don't want to use it for anything you don't have to though and you can just ignore it.

I have installed Hestia control panel for you. I emailed the url and credentials to log in to you.

The domain rf5.co has been added to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org and the correct A record has been created. If you need any changes to your DNS just let us know. There is no way for you to edit yourself at this time, but that's a feature we hope to add some day.

We actually changed that recently. The welcome email comes from support@heliohost.org now so if they reply to that email it goes to the forum anyways.

Django isn't installed on Plesk yet, but it will be before much longer. I did install Python 3.10, Python 3.6, and Python 2.7 though so shared hosting users can do Python cgi and bots and whatnot already. Flask and Django will come soon.

There is only one VPS customer that insisted on using cPanel despite my best arguments that he should use literally anything else. Everyone else that has asked about it I have convinced to use something else. It may not be much, but I'll do everything in my power to hasten cPanel's demise until they go out of business.

Welcome to HelioHost!

I added your domain to Hestia, installed SSL, installed Django, and set up a sample Django app on your domain. You can see it running atĀ https://rf5.co/

Your SSH username is tschmidt like you chose during signup, but your Hestia has 2 usernames. The system administrator username is admin, and I created a Hestia user for you as well. The Hestia user and the SSH user can't be the same so I named the Hestia user tony. If you need to run some SSH commands such as installing something log in to SSH as tschmidt. If you need to edit the files on your domain you can do so through Hestia control panel as tony. I know it's a little confusing with all the different usernames.

Django is running on port 8000 currently in a screen. To stop Django log in to SSH as tschmidt, run "sudo su" command which will ask your for your password that you picked during signup on our website. Then once you're root you can run the command "screen -Dr django" to access the running Django app, and hit Ctrl-C to stop it. Let us know if you have any problems with any of this. For the Hestia login I have emailed you your starting password which you can use to login to Hestia at the urlĀ https://vps57.heliohost.us:8083/Ā I recommend changing the default password because email isn't very secure.

Let us know if you have any questions about anything or if you need help with anything.

Hello Krydos,

I upgraded my VPS recently and I don't think the django app is installed on the new server.Ā  Ā Can you help me with this?Ā  I'd like you to setup django like you did before.Ā  If the commands are easy, I would to know that to for future reference.Ā  Ā No rush, Happy new year!

Best,
Tony

It's basically just

pip3 install django

And then follow this guideĀ https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.1/intro/tutorial01/

You can, and probably should, complicate it a bit by creating a Python virtual environment. A virtual environment helps in the future if you end up wanting to run multiple Python projects on the same server because you can have different modules and different versions installed specifically for that project without breaking anything else.

Let us know if you need more help, or can't figure it out yourself.

• 1 month later...

I installed django in a python virtual environment, but don't know how to associate a django app with a domain.Ā  It was setup (by you guys) on https://rf5.co/Ā before I upgraded my server (see further up in this thread).Ā  I am seeing a redirect error with the rf5.co domain and I can't figure out if it is the DNS or not.Ā  Ā Could this be a result of the previous server setup for the rf5.co domain?Ā Ā Ā If that domain doesn't work can you please help me get a django app installed on https://rf7.coĀ ?

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to explain how to do it yourself so you can learn, but if you can't figure it out I don't mind doing it for you.

Edit /home/tony/conf/web/rf5.co/apache2.ssl.conf_django.conf and comment out the two lines by putting # in front of them like this to disable Django on the rf5.co domain.

#ProxyPass / "http://127.0.0.1:8000/"
#ProxyPassReverse / "http://127.0.0.1:8000/"

Then create a new fileĀ /home/tony/conf/web/rf7.co/apache2.ssl.conf_django.conf and put those same two lines without being commented out to enable Django on the rf7.co domain.

ProxyPass / "http://127.0.0.1:8000/"
ProxyPassReverse / "http://127.0.0.1:8000/"

If your Django app is running on a different port than 8000, or if you want to run multiple apps you can change the 8000 to whatever port it's on. You could run one app on 8000, and another on 8001, etc. and have them running on different domains.

Then test the config to make sure it doesn't have any errors.

root@vps57:~# apachectl configtest
Syntax OK

If it looks good you can restart Apache with this command.

root@vps57:~# apachectl graceful
root@vps57:~#

Let us know if you have any questions or need more help.

It's been a week with no reply so I'm going to assume that you got Django running on the new domain, and close this topic to keep the escalated section tidy. If you need further assistance or have any questions feel free to start a new thread.

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] install request, django and web admin (cpanel?)
  • Krydos locked this topic