Fundraiser for New Server

HelioHost

That will depend on what we end up offering, though it's possible. The new server will be Windows based, so for example if you ended up needing real ASP.NET or something else that requires a Windows server, you could request permission for a second account.

I doubt it.

We're not even sure if we can make this thing work the way we want since we've never tried offering a Windows server before, let alone any support for cloud stuff. Worst case is we end up with Plesk.

Thanks for the reply, wolstech.  If that happens, will the plan be to deploy Plesk across all services, as a replacement for cPanel?

No. This server will be its own thing. We have no plans to replace the linux servers or cPanel. We're trying to avoid Plesk because of cost and complexity.

I'm most likely going to end up developing a barebones back-end myself. IIS doesn't really have a great web-based front end, so odds are users will need to install the Windows RSAT and manage that aspect with the conventional MS tools if the web tools MS provides don't cut it and free ones don't already exist.

Recent research suggests one good (and relatively easy) solution would be to configure the Windows server as a "slave server" for the existing linux boxes. IIS/.NET would be offered like Mono and Java are now on Tommy...you'd just sign up for a Tommy or Johnny account like always, and "request IIS" in cPanel. You'd get an FTP folder and a user account on the Windows server where you upload your ASP.NET stuff and configure IIS. Then you visit it through your existing cPanel account's website as if it was a subfolder, kind of like what a Java WAR does now (upload, configure/deploy, and it appears as a virtual folder)

This would mean everything except IIS/ASP.NET is handled by our already-proven cPanel servers, so we don't need to reinvent the wheel implementing DNS management, user management, and the tons of other things cPanel does. PHP and other languages could be made available through IIS as well if there's demand for it.

Also, stock IIS has very little functionality for shared environments. For instance, it has no capability for user management except by site (and each needs to be on a different port I believe). Plesk cheats by using one IIS site for all users and just having its own user management system outside the Windows one to control access. I suppose I could develop a user management solution if need be.

Edited by wolstech
Elaborate...
  • Like 1

Recent research suggests one good (and relatively easy) solution would be to configure the Windows server as a "slave server" for the existing linux boxes. IIS/.NET would be offered like Mono and Java are now on Tommy...you'd just sign up for a Tommy or Johnny account like always, and "request IIS" in cPanel. You'd get an FTP folder and a user account on the Windows server where you upload your ASP.NET stuff and configure IIS. Then you visit it through your existing cPanel account's website as if it was a subfolder, kind of like what a Java WAR does now (upload, configure/deploy, and it appears as a virtual folder)

I think this would be a good solution :)

• Like 1

Actually, thinking about how IIS sites work, it'd likely be closer to how RoR works on Johnny than how Java works, and speaking of RoR, I'm now tempted to see if that would run on Lily...being able to offer RoR on another server would mean Johnny can finally get a long-overdue upgrade.