Regarding The Mysql Issue On Stevie

hussam

Regarding the mysql issue on Stevie, it is not improving and today mysql has been down for a cumulative time of over an hour.

I don't wish to complain and I understand this is a free service so I can't expect people to get out of their way to fix problems, however, is there anything being done to fix this? Or perhaps is there anything at all that can be done to fix this?

Thank you for the friendly service.

• Like 1

Yeah, there are problems, but only in MYSQL, everything else seems to be okay on Stevie. I dont see it getting fixed in some days(or even months).

And if you have innodb tables, dont attempt to drop it, ignore them.(Use MyISAM instead).

You can use third party MYSQL databases like from websites http://www.db4free.net/ etc. (remember to whitelist heliohost IP) if you want a 24 hour MYSQL service and still continue to use heliohost's services.

Also, you can use PostgreSQL to avoid the crashes.

Yes, I know all of that, yashrs. I registered after the issue happened.

With all due respect, I would rather hear "I dont see it getting fixed in some days(or even months)" from heliohost staff and not another member but nevertheless, thank you very much for the reply :)

There is no official support for anything other than mysql in wordpress.

I tried hacking on the pdo sqlite plugin for wordpress which one of the slackware devs uses.

I managed to fix the issue where it won't create tables on installation.

I tried it on localhost but it was slow and from my experience, sqlite doesn't scale as much as mysql. The bottlenecks are just too much.

I would rather get a direct reply from heliohost staff before pursuing other database storage options like sqlite.

An external database means an external connection for each query. Not really a bright idea. It would probably put too much load on Stevie.

Edit: I might also consider flatpress.

Edited by hussam

Even I haven't heard anything about repair progress in a few weeks, so I wouldn't expect a fix in the immediate future.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else, frustrated by frequent downtime due to database issues. Unlike you guys though, I can't switch to a different DB like postgres or sqlite since my applications are mostly custom stuff. :(

• Like 1

A lack of fully functional MySQL does not render the server useless, especially since it is functional if you use the older engine (myisam). Postgresql is also offered if you wish to use it. Because the server still works (albeit poorly) I wouldn't call it down. Incapacitated describes it better.

A lack of fully functional MySQL does not render the server useless, especially since it is functional if you use the older engine (myisam). Postgresql is also offered if you wish to use it. Because the server still works (albeit poorly) I wouldn't call it down. Incapacitated describes it better.

I always used myisam. So if everyone converts to myisam, mysqld stops crashing?

No, I dont think that is the case @hussam. If that would have been the case, the admins would have requested to take backup and delete all the innodb tables or else would have changed them to MyISAM.

No, I dont think that is the case @hussam. If that would have been the case, the admins would have deleted all the innodb tables or else would have changed them to MyISAM.

They wouldn't delete people's innodb tables. It would mean tampering with people's data.

We will never delete database for no reason.

Also, the InnoDB table are still readable, so you can take a backup of it and manually convert it to MyISAM.

Krydos is trying to repair the damaged tables as fast as he can, but keep in mind that he can only do so much at the time.

Yeah, I know they would delete the tables for no reason. I also took backup of my innodb table and converted it to MyISAM. It is that much good as the problem will get solved faster.

Yeah, there are problems, but only in MYSQL, everything else seems to be okay on Stevie. I dont see it getting fixed in some days(or even months).

And if you have innodb tables, dont attempt to drop it, ignore them.(Use MyISAM instead).

You can use third party MYSQL databases like from websites http://www.db4free.net/ etc. (remember to whitelist heliohost IP) if you want a 24 hour MYSQL service and still continue to use heliohost's services.

Also, you can use PostgreSQL to avoid the crashes.

Hello. Could you explain how someone could do that? Because there are certain new softwares (joomla, vanilla forums) that cannot be installed without innodb. How would I redirect the installation to db4free?

Yeah, there are problems, but only in MYSQL, everything else seems to be okay on Stevie. I dont see it getting fixed in some days(or even months). And if you have innodb tables, dont attempt to drop it, ignore them.(Use MyISAM instead). You can use third party MYSQL databases like from websites http://www.db4free.net/ etc. (remember to whitelist heliohost IP) if you want a 24 hour MYSQL service and still continue to use heliohost's services. Also, you can use PostgreSQL to avoid the crashes.
Hello. Could you explain how someone could do that? Because there are certain new softwares (joomla, vanilla forums) that cannot be installed without innodb. How would I redirect the installation to db4free?

Go to dbfree website, register for a new database.

Then in your php script use dbfree mysql server address instead of localhost.

Just keep in mind that you are placing your data on a random testing service (dbfree) and therefore there is no guarantee what might happen to your database.

If you are using joomla, you might want to use postgresql instead of mysql. It is supported according to joomla system requirements.

Another thing is that postgresql is a real open source project with a public source code repository. That means development happens in the open. You can trust it more than mysql which is developed behind closed doors with the occasional release source code tarball.