[Solved] Internal Server Error

ibra

Like minded people I am having this problem dear admin root can you look at it:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at root@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Many users don't even know load suspensions are a thing until they get hit with them, hence the reminder.

As for your issue, I took a look and the errors I'm seeing look like this, which means that PHP didn't return a response (could be for any reason, but just timing out is likely considering the software in question):

[Sun Dec 24 19:17:38.822355 2023] [fcgid:warn] [pid 29571:tid 140670773749504] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 102.128.131.192:35290] mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server, referer: https://barashada.net.helioho.st/my/courses.php
[Sun Dec 24 19:17:38.835511 2023] [core:error] [pid 29571:tid 140670773749504] [client 102.128.131.192:35290] End of script output before headers: view.php, referer: https://barashada.net.helioho.st/my/courses.php

It looks like Moodle, which is known to be problematic on our service due to the amount of resources it needs. Moodle is meant more as an enterprise application that's supposed to be run on a dedicated server. It is extremely heavy, and this is a common issue with it when it's used on shared hosting.

This is one of a few programs that we know of that struggles to run properly here due to its design. Others include things such as Wordpress (especially when extensions such as Wordfence or Elementor are installed), Media Wiki, Magento, and various non-PHP apps like Ghost CMS and nodejs-proxy.

Fast CGI is just a technology for how PHP talks to Apache, it's not a file itself (though it does have a configuration). Odds are what you're referring to is extending the timeout so the script can finish. We intentionally restricted the runtime of the scripts to I believe 60 seconds to keep the server stable.

We generally recommend a VPS for Moodle (which is really the sort of platform it's made to run on). If your software cannot run on Johnny, it often won't run on Tommy either (Tommy has tighter limits and is actually slower at the moment), and the third option Morty (which may or may not run it) isn't available yet.