Use email servers only

Ookma-Kyi

I looked at the terms of service and wiki but, could not find the answer to my question. I am setting up a VPS on another host but, still want to use your email servers. All my emails are stored here so if I switch mx servers, all my previous emails will be lost unless I switch back. Additional I am giving you a heads up about the current situation. If not could you please advise me of possible solutions. The reason I am switching is because they specialize in ColdFusion hosting. Unfortunately your service doesn't offer Lucee hosting. In addition they offered me a 75% discount on a 1 CPU, 4 GB Ram, 40 GB of storage of which is normally roughly $300 but with the discount comes out to $80.

4 hours ago, Ookma-Kyi said:

Unfortunately your service doesn't offer Lucee hosting

It looks like Lucee only needs 256 MB ram (1 GB recommended) and 1 GB of hard drive space (10 GB recommended) and will run on Ubuntu 22 (or pretty much anything.) You could easily run that on a Mercury VPS. Here is the system requirements https://docs.lucee.org/guides/getting-started/system-requirements.html and here is a guide on how to install it https://docs.lucee.org/guides/installing-lucee/installation-linux/linux-ubuntu-quick-video-guide.html

In addition they offered me a 75% discount on a 1 CPU, 4 GB Ram, 40 GB of storage of which is normally roughly $300 but with the discount comes out to $80.

$80 for how long? We can do 2 CPUs, 4 GB ram, and 50 GB storage for $70.20 for 6 months. https://heliohost.org/vps/subscription/?mem=4&cpu=2&hdd=50&os=ubuntu22  

still want to use your email servers. All my emails are stored here so if I switch mx servers, all my previous emails will be lost unless I switch back.

Yeah, you can use our servers for email hosting, or any kind of hosting. You just can't send spam, or violate any of our other terms.

11 hours ago, Krydos said:

It looks like Lucee only needs 256 MB ram (1 GB recommended) and 1 GB of hard drive space (10 GB recommended) and will run on Ubuntu 22 (or pretty much anything.) You could easily run that on a Mercury VPS. Here is the system requirements https://docs.lucee.org/guides/getting-started/system-requirements.html and here is a guide on how to install it https://docs.lucee.org/guides/installing-lucee/installation-linux/linux-ubuntu-quick-video-guide.html

$80 for how long? We can do 2 CPUs, 4 GB ram, and 50 GB storage for $70.20 for 6 months. https://heliohost.org/vps/subscription/?mem=4&cpu=2&hdd=50&os=ubuntu22  

Yeah, you can use our servers for email hosting, or any kind of hosting. You just can't send spam, or violate any of our other terms.

$80 for the entire year. 1 GB of RAM  is the recommended amount of RAM for running Lucee, although 4 GB is the standard for most industry deployments.It also depends on the app irself. What are the mx servers dns?

19 minutes ago, Ookma-Kyi said:

$80 for the entire year.

That's a pretty good price. Does it come with a dedicated IPv4?

19 minutes ago, Ookma-Kyi said:

What are the mx servers dns?

Since you have an account on Tommy you can set your MX records to 65.19.141.77 or tommy2.heliohost.org to continue receiving your mail through Plesk. You can set your NS records to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org if you want me to create the MX record for you, but you can use any external DNS provider as well, such as a free Cloudflare account, and set the MX record yourself.

1 minute ago, Krydos said:

That's a pretty good price. Does it come with a dedicated IPv4?

Since you have an account on Tommy you can set your MX records to 65.19.141.77 or tommy2.heliohost.org to continue receiving your mail through Plesk. You can set your NS records to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org if you want me to create the MX record for you, but you can use any external DNS provider as well, such as a free Cloudflare account, and set the MX record yourself.

Yes it comes with a dedicated IP.

How much is it after the first year though? The full $300? Or are they giving you $80/year permanently?

We're less than half of their price without that 75% off promotion. The $70.20 for 6 months ($140.40/yr) is our normal price, no limited time promotions or marketing gimmicks.

17 hours ago, wolstech said:

How much is it after the first year though? The full $300? Or are they giving you $80/year permanently?

We're less than half of their price without that 75% off promotion. The $70.20 for 6 months ($140.40/yr) is our normal price, no limited time promotions or marketing gimmicks.

75% permanently and that's for a 4GB of RAM VPS not 1 GB. For you a 4 GB VPS costs $70.20/6 months.

To see someone beat our price permanently is impressive. Most of the ones we’ve found are limited time and we end up beating them once the promo runs out.

Makes me wonder if they are subsidizing it with another service that they offer as there is no way that selling those kinds of resources for that price is sustainable unless they have another source of revenue…my bet is they’re also selling shared hosting which costs basically nothing to offer except the panel license if you already have the servers running for something else.

We kind of do the opposite (give the shared hosting away and subsidize it with VPS sales and donations).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the long response time. Spent a while going in circle trying to get my app working on their VPS. To make a long story short they charge $210/hr every time there is an issue. I had 2 issues, the first was environment variables wasn't working. I fixed that myself my figuring out they were running Tomcat on top Lucee and I needed to add my environment varables to setenv.sh. The second one I basically gave up, which was trying to get SES rewrites working. Both times they offered to help me if I paid for "sysop support" and both times I declined.