[Solved] Setting up my play...er, work area :)

gektek

Greetings all! Discovered your services recently from a friend who also has an account. LOVING what you do and what you stand for! Please keep up the amazing work.

Ok, that out of the way... ;) Here is what I am attempting to do... I currently have five URLs hosted/pointing to my DreamHost account. I would like to point those to my account here on Helio (gektek). Please bare with me as I am fairly noobie level when it comes to the modern era of web server management but I BELIEVE what I will need to do is list the URLs in question (see below) and you work your magic on your end and then I would edit some settings with my registrars to point to your nameservers...and then wait a bit, right? I am also interested in setting up a few email addresses for a couple of the URLs but it appears I am able to do that myself from within Plesk (yay!). My sites receive little to no traffic at the moment so I shouldn't be taking up too many resources on the server I'm on. I'm hopeful that I will eventually need to move to one of your VPS packages (which I see are all full atm) but from what I understand of your services for now I should be aok to dabble and learn for a bit first. I could literally hug you if that is the case (virtually of course :P).

I do have an inquiry about the location swap though. In regards to moving the pointer from DreamHost to Helio, I do use one email address as my main email account. Let's see, what am I trying to ask. Um, is it a good idea to have you set up the URLs on Helio AND me enter the information for my main email account in Plesk BEFORE changing the nameservers on my end? Or does email work in such a way that I need to change the nameservers on my end and THEN set up the email account in Plesk? Not sure if that line of questioning made sense...

If there is any other information you need from me please let me know. Again, I truly appreciate the services you are offering. Thank you! Ty ty ty ty ty!

Jacob (aka gektek)

THE URL LIST:

• gektek.info
  • gektek.tv
  • playsforfun.com
  • falliblefiction.com
  • charitybreak.com

On 7/5/2023 at 7:36 PM, gektek said:
  • gektek.info
  • gektek.tv
  • playsforfun.com
  • falliblefiction.com
  • charitybreak.com

Added.

LOVING what you do and what you stand for! Please keep up the amazing work.

Thanks!

then I would edit some settings with my registrars to point to your nameservers...and then wait a bit, right?

Correct. Login to your registrar and delete any existing NS records, and then put ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org as your only NS records.

I'm hopeful that I will eventually need to move to one of your VPS packages (which I see are all full atm)

We just finished a fundraiser to buy a new server, and have plenty of VPS space that just opened up. We will also be releasing our new Morty server before much longer.

from what I understand of your services for now I should be aok to dabble and learn for a bit first. I could literally hug you if that is the case (virtually of course :P).

Yeah, definitely. HelioHost is great for people who are just learning still. Very few people want to pay for hosting when they have no idea what they're doing so we get a lot of people who are new to web hosting.

Um, is it a good idea to have you set up the URLs on Helio AND me enter the information for my main email account in Plesk BEFORE changing the nameservers on my end? Or does email work in such a way that I need to change the nameservers on my end and THEN set up the email account in Plesk?

Now that the domains have been added to your account you can create the email addresses yourself. Then once you set the NS records the mail will automatically flow to your HelioHost account instead of your DreamHost account. I would keep an eye on the old mailbox for a few days though in case some mail servers have the old MX record cached.

Again, I truly appreciate the services you are offering. Thank you! Ty ty ty ty ty!

No problem. Let us know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] Setting up my play...er, work area :)
  • Krydos locked this topic