[Solved] My VPS is high (on load) again

Amoss

My domain is pointed to your servers because everything is there, site and war. If I'll change it to GoDaddy's/cloudflare's servers, won't it fail everything?

I was wondering: changing my VPS IP is something that can be done easily? I think that one of the problems is that my IP got backlisted because of those dns/ptr issues, maybe getting a new IP will fix this. Assuming it won't have other effects on the VPS itself.

Edited by Amoss

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you got your IP blacklisted then go to the blacklist that has you listed and request your IP to be removed.

You can use whatever DNS you want as long as you make the A record that points to your VPS IP.

I will try it, thanks.

Changing the dns to GoDaddy + A record leading to my vps, will change anything the fact of not being able to send to gmail?

---

I tried sending an email from exim itself and got the following and here is someone who had the same issue: https://www.mail-archive.com/exim-users%40exim.org/msg53129.html

SMTP>> STARTTLS
  SMTP<< 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
  SMTP>> EHLO mail.stockdiv.com
LOG: MAIN
  H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.197.27] TLS error on connection (recv): Resource temporarily unavailable, try again.
  SMTP(close)>>
  H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.197.27]: Remote host closed connection in response to EHLO mail.stockdiv.com
  H=alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27] TLS error on connection (recv): Resource temporarily unavailable, try again.
  SMTP(close)>>
  H=alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27]: alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27]: No such file or directory
  == ...@gmail.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (2): No such file or directory H=alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27]: alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27]
  ** ...@gmail.com: retry timeout exceeded

I was told to "Please check with your domain hoster regarding traffic filtering"

Edited by Amoss

Well, there's definitely no traffic filtering on your VPS. I checked for an update to exim 4.92 again and it still doesn't exist. Digging a little deeper it looks like ubuntu 18 has no intention of ever updating to exim 4.92, but they do have a patched version of 4.91 that fixes the vulnerability. You would have to upgrade to ubuntu 19 to get exim 4.92, but upgrading to ubuntu 19 would break vesta.

Thanks for updating, what about the errors I posted in my previous message?

When sending emails to other providers everything is smooth, when sending to gmail I get those errors...

I guess my next question would be if vesta is going to support ubuntu 19 anytime soon?

My question is about the errors I get when sending to Gmail, I don't receive those when sending to other providers:

H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.197.27] TLS error on connection (recv): Resource temporarily unavailable, try again.
H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.197.27]: Remote host closed connection in response to EHLO mail.stockdiv.com
H=alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27] TLS error on connection (recv): Resource temporarily unavailable, try again.
H=alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27]: alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27]: No such file or directory
== ...@gmail.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (2): No such file or directory H=alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27]: alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [209.85.200.27]
** ...@gmail.com: retry timeout exceeded

I did: https://support.google.com/mail/thread/8130059?hl=en

The guy there told me to check the PTR/reverse dns etc... and if it still fails, talk to my sysadmin/mail hoster/seek help outside.

When I asked him specifically about the errors, he wrote this: Please check with your domain hoster re traffic filtering;  otherwise I am not sure that we can give any further advice.

If you have another way to contact gmail or ask about this kind of error, do let me know and I'll do it.

I will try and update, I also tried this one https://www.checktls.com/TestReceiver and saw there is a cert problem. I wonder if it's all related.

update: well, the first step is to add an alias mail.stockdiv.com, there's already a www.stockdiv.com alias so I added another one to it but when saving, it fails with error code 3. any idea?

Edited by Amoss