[Solved] Read-only remote access to mySQL with cpanel login

gdflow

You're not supposed to actually use the cPanel account for Remote MySQL (I just recommend it for testing to verify that your problem is not an issue with settings)

It's very odd that no created MySQL users can access remotely...lets see if Krydos can figure out what's going on here. Moving so he can take a look at this.

I tested remote mysql to Johnny on my personal account. Everything works as expected.

mysql> show grants for gdflow_admin;
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for gdflow_admin@%                                                   |
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'gdflow_admin'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '<removed>' |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

mysql> show grants for gdflow_drup254;
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for gdflow_drup254@%                                                   |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'gdflow_drup254'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '<removed>' |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `gdflow\_drup254`.* TO 'gdflow_drup254'@'%'           |
2 rows in set (0.01 sec)

mysql> show grants for gdflow_sql112277;
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for gdflow_sql112277@%                                                   |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'gdflow_sql112277'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '<removed>' |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `gdflow\_gdflow`.* TO 'gdflow_sql112277'@'%'            |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
It looks like gdflow_admin has no remote access, gdflow_drup254 has remote access to the database gdflow_drup254, and gdflow_sql112277 has remote access to the database gdflow_gdflow.

Even I can't know the password to any of those accounts (unless I bruteforced the hash) so I created a new mysql user to test. I granted the test account with all privileges to gdflow_drup254. Everything worked as expected.

# mysql --host=64.62.211.131 --user=gdflow_krydos -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 64254
Server version: 5.6.35 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

Copyright (c) 2000, 2016, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| gdflow_drup254     |
+--------------------+
2 rows in set (1.19 sec)

mysql>