Please Check

imfree

Dear Sir, 

1. I have changed the username and updated my site ishoham.com but it is not opening with or without Cloudflare.  

Please check and confirm. 

2. ftp.ishoham.com has to be added. Do I have to add it or is it automatically done? 

3. Please send me the MX Entries for Google Apps. 

4. Do I extract the backup files in the home folder or in the public_html, or are they one and the same? 

Awaiting your kind reply. 

1. I have changed the username and updated site ishoham.com but it is not opening with or without Cloudflare.

Set your nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org if you want us to help you with this issue.

2. ftp.ishoham.com has to be added. Do I have to add it or is it automatically done?

Use tommy.heliohost.org as your ftp host.

3. Please send me the MX Entries for Google Apps.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/33915?hl=en

4. Do I extract the backup files in the home folder or in the public_html, or are they one and the same?

It depends on what kind of backup it is. If it's a full backup then there is a folder within the backup named public_html whose contents should be extracted to the public_html folder on your new account. We recommend extracting the backup on your home computer to see what kind of backup it is.

Set your nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org if you want us to help you with this issue.

Done. Ok now.

Use tommy.heliohost.org as your ftp host.

You mean I don't have to add an A Record? It was there earlier. If I do add an A Record will it be right or wrong? Or rather, which is better, 

ftp.ishoham.com or tommy.heliohost.org?

Good, but changed from the earlier version which had googlemail.com instead of google.

Plus, no mention of pointing the Cname to ghs.google.com. Isn't that incomplete? 

What if I just copy my earlier settings, which is better?

It depends on what kind of backup it is. If it's a full backup then there is a folder within the backup named public_html whose contents should be extracted to the public_html folder on your new account. We recommend extracting the backup on your home computer to see what kind of backup it is.

Edited by Krydos
fixed quote tags

http://ishoham.com/ works for me now. Please clear your browser cache.

You can do an A record, or a subdomain or something for ftp, but it's completely unnecessary and just using tommy.heliohost.org is better.

You'd have to contact google support about that. You said "Please send me the MX Entries for Google Apps." so I simply googled "MX Entries for Google Apps" for you and posted the resulting link.

First, Thanks for all your efforts. 

Got the site moving finally.

Now, more questions -

1. What does localhost.mysite.com do? Is it required or not? Because there is no such entry this time. Do I have to add it or no? 

2. Do I or do I not create a subdomain for mail.mysite.com? Because when I create that, it creates a seperate emtry in the Dns records as www.mail.mysite.com, etc. since I already pointed it to ghs.google.com (MX entries not yet added.)

So setting up the Google Apps entries are going hunky dory.

Simply put, please explain ALL the steps from start to finish of setting up the Google Apps on my site. 

And please check and rectify where I have erred.

Thanks again to all of you.

First, Thanks for all your efforts.

No problem. That's what we're here for.

1. What does localhost.mysite.com do? Is it required or not? Because there is no such entry this time. Do I have to add it or no?

Nope. I have no idea what you would use that for or where you even came up with that subdomain. I've never seen another person create a subdomain called localhost.

2. Do I or do I not create a subdomain for mail.mysite.com? Because when I create that, it creates a seperate emtry in the Dns records as www.mail.mysite.com, etc. since I already pointed it to ghs.google.com (MX entries not yet added.)

When you create a subdomain it automatically creates a CNAME entry for the www. version. You can delete it if it bothers you for some reason.

Simply put, please explain ALL the steps from start to finish of setting up the Google Apps on my site.

I've never set up google apps before so I'm not the one to answer this question. I'm pretty sure others have done it successfully though so it's surely possible. Here are the 5 steps that google lists https://support.google.com/a/answer/1186224?hl=en If you want you could write a wiki article for setting up google apps. HelioHost isn't a company so much as we're a community that helps each other figure things out. I'm sure a wiki article would be useful for people in the future who wish to do the same thing as you.

Nope. I have no idea what you would use that for or where you even came up with that subdomain. I've never seen another person create a subdomain called localhost.

I've actually done this before. It's useful when testing software that expects an FQDN. Some PC software won't accept localhost because it's missing a TLD, so I toss an A record in there pointed to 127.0.0.1 and end up with a "real" domain that points to localhost. Of course, hosts file could do the same thing assuming you have permission to modify it.

When you create a subdomain it automatically creates a CNAME entry for the www. version. You can delete it if it bothers you for some reason.

I've never set up google apps before so I'm not the one to answer this question. I'm pretty sure others have done it successfully though so it's surely possible. Here are the 5 steps that google lists https://support.google.com/a/answer/1186224?hl=en If you want you could write a wiki article for setting up google apps. HelioHost isn't a company so much as we're a community that helps each other figure things out. I'm sure a wiki article would be useful for people in the future who wish to do the same thing as you.

There is no icon nor link for "MX Entry", nor for "Network Tools" in my Cpanel. Both are missing.

The "Advanced DNS settings" will also be deprecated.

So how do I enter the MX records?

Secondly, an A Record was created linking mail.mysite.com to a folder on my site. But that is creating problems as described above and interfering with the Cname record of ghs.google.com. 

Please help resolve this.

Can I point my nameservers back to Cloudflare or should I wait till all these processes are completed? 

Please let me know.

Edited by Krydos
fixed quote tags

There is no icon nor link for "MX Entry", nor for "Network Tools" in my Cpanel. Both are missing.

The "Advanced DNS settings" will also be deprecated.

So how do I enter the MX records?

To add or change MX records go to https://tommy.heliohost.org:2083/frontend/paper_lantern/zone_editor/index.html

Secondly, an A Record was created linking mail.mysite.com to a folder on my site. But that is creating problems as described above and interfering with the Cname record of ghs.google.com.

http://mail.ishoham.com/ seems to be working for me. When you visit it you get a google signin page. Is that not what you want it to do?

Can I point my nameservers back to Cloudflare or should I wait till all these processes are completed?

When you switch back to cloudflare they are going to copy all of our working settings. If you plan on making any more dns changes we recommend you do it without cloudflare, and then once you have everything exactly as you want switch to cloudflare.

1. Yes the the Cname works but only without the Subdomaining. Guess that's redundant now.

2. MX records - Do I change the TTL to 3600 or leave it to the default 14400? Which is better?

3. Can I use SFTP even though my site is not on https, or should I stick toftp?

1. Yes the the Cname works but only without the Subdomaining. Guess that's redundant now.

Yeah, a cname and a subdomain with the same url would conflict with each other.

2. MX records - Do I change the TTL to 3600 or leave it to the default 14400? Which is better?

TTL stands for time to live. If you plan on changing your MX records frequently having a low TTL would mean less time for DNS servers to update to the new value, but it increases the load on the DNS servers because they have to query for the new value really often. If you don't expect to change your MX records daily then 14400 is a good standard to use.

3. Can I use SFTP even though my site is not on https, or should I stick toftp?

Yes, your site doesn't have to be on https for SFTP to work. You set your SFTP to

host: tommy.heliohost.org

port: 1342

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, checked that up. Itś a DKIM signature which is already set by default.

So really speaking, I don´t need to do anything.

But all that I want is to change / shorten 

"Signed by - mysite.com.some numbers.gappssmtp.com"

to "Signed by - mysite.com."

without altering the main DKIM Key or its contents.

To do that do I have to  apply for a new private DKIM signature / key with Google or can it be done at your end? 

Is the private signature different from the default one or are they both the same?

Secondly, I have to even setup my SPF records too.

Which comes first, or can they be done together, one after another?

DMarc is the third guy, but too confusing for the moment. Iĺl leave that alone.

Please advise.

Google Note:

To maintain the safety and security of the email service, Google uses DKIM signing for all email messages. Google now signs all email traffic not signed with DKIM originating from Google Cloud domains with d=*.gappssmtp.com. This should not cause any email delivery issues. In the rare event that your email is rejected, contact the receiving server administrator. In particular, you should suggest that receivers not reject emails based on a missing or unverifiable DKIM signature. See RFC 4871. To prevent any issues, we encourage you to add your own DKIM signature to your emails.