Desktop Forum Stuck In Mobile.

Bailey

It's not the fact that we can't convert the data, it's that absolutely none of our custom code will work if we replace it with anything that's not IPB (4.x won't even work as-is, but will likely be easier than another product to make compatible since the code is made for IPB now).

That custom code is what makes this board integrate with cPanel's account creations, runs the support email system, makes up the custom theme, etc. Replacing the board would be a very time-consuming job involving tons of custom code rewrites to make things work as they do now.

@miwilc, I know, I've had many conversations about it with @Krydos and @wolstech. But the more custom code, the longer it takes to upgrade. ie. lots of code, lots of time needed.

To be perfectly honest, we could re-code all the custom code onto a new forum. But no one has the time, because it would take forever.

@Bailey it helps to view the forum software and the code for cPanel integration (etc.) as separate things.

As the forum itself can be easily upgraded but the custom code will need to be reprogrammed to work with the new forum software, this is what takes time.

@Bailey: miwilc is right here. The forum itself can technically be upgraded and run standalone with virtually no issue. The custom stuff is all separate components.

To my knowledge, much of the custom stuff isn't in the forum source (except the theme), but rather likely linux shell scripts that talk to the forum in some manner (not sure if there's an API, if it's just dumping data into the database, or what, Krydos built all of it).

Hmm, I'm curious, is the majority of the process handled in the script files?

Because it should be easy to write a wrapper plugin for that.

https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/development/plugins/basics/#plugin-hooks

I think it should be easy to setup cPanel creation (should be called after member_do_register_end) but

can the staff entertain the idea of dropping the support email?

Maybe setting up a autoresponder on the current one and maintaining a separate email for DMCA's.

I doubt we can get two way [email->forum|forum->email] even if we did do this. It will most likely be email->forum only but even that is doubtful.

Github is not necessary for the forum itself @Bailey, it would probably be a violation of the license. I just need the database.

@Krydos hmm, maybe. This is a older plugin for MyBB http://mods.mybb.com/view/post-via-email but replies are not sent back (via email.) 🤔, but using this we can still keep the current email, but replies are going to be tricky.

Should we go ahead with this?

I can start setting up the development environment for anyone who wants to work on it.

Edit: I've started the initial setup on https://helio.miwilc.com/

/This thread probably needs to split to the development forum.

@Bailey you misunderstood the current forum is under a IPB paid license.

MyBB is GNU GPLv3, a free software license that encourages forking/tweaking.

Anyways, we will not be touching the source for either forums, it is not necessary.

As I said before, we only need the database.