Desktop Forum Stuck In Mobile.

Bailey

That the "Change Theme" button doesnt work. Private messages are broken. There are broken links everywhere. And more but its not really to do with the bugs I just feel that:

1) Its new, I like new stuff, I dont know whether thats because Im tech savvy or something.

2) The forum is outdated 2010 or something. I just know its old

3) It costs money (or did, not sure how that works)

4) A nice new responsive forum will look nicer to new users, making it more user friendly

5) It has a load of new features!

6) Open source, so we can view and change anything easily.

And, Im willing to do it in my own time and maybe but quite possibly, if you send or upload the database to my account tonight, be able to fully set it up tomorrow.

We have tons of custom integration on this forum, among other things.

I agree with Krydos...I don't think it needs upgrading despite its age. Also, we have a lot of users with older hardware too, and the new flashy responsive stuff tends to lag on older PCs.

I personally find forum mobile apps useless too. I use an iphone 4S with ios6, but even on my current gen iPad, the browsers king. If I had a penny for every time a forum nagged me about its app...

That the "Change Theme" button doesnt work.

There's only one theme, or are you talking about the mobile <-> desktop thing?

Private messages are broken.

Private messages work for me. I'm private messaging a guy right now. What doesn't work for you?

There are broken links everywhere.

List some and we can fix them. Migrating this forum to a completely different software (not IPB) is only going to break more links, not fix them.

It costs money (or did, not sure how that works)

We're kind of in a grey area currently. We own a license for this software, and it's definitely not nulled, but we don't need to pay again unless we want to upgrade to IPB 4.0+

Open source, so we can view and change anything easily.

That's actually an argument to stick with this forum. I HAVE edited and changed the code of this forum significantly. Does anyone ever wonder how our email to forum post thing works? That's certainly not stock IPB functionality.

That the "Change Theme" button doesnt work.

There's only one theme, or are you talking about the mobile <-> desktop thing?

Yes

Private messages are broken.

Private messages work for me. I'm private messaging a guy right now. What doesn't work for you?

No, I get the error:
[#10229] We could not determine which message you were attempting to view.

There are broken links everywhere.

List some and we can fix them. Migrating this forum to a completely different software (not IPB) is only going to break more links, not fix them.
I'll post these later when I find them all in a separate topic if thats okay?

It costs money (or did, not sure how that works)

We're kind of in a grey area currently. We own a license for this software, and it's definitely not nulled, but we don't need to pay again unless we want to upgrade to IPB 4.0+
Why dont we/you upgrade? It is to do with the custom code?

Open source, so we can view and change anything easily.

That's actually an argument to stick with this forum. I HAVE edited and changed the code of this forum significantly. Does anyone ever wonder how our email to forum post thing works? That's certainly not stock IPB functionality.
I guessed it wasnt but I would have though you had a php script or something separate to the forum?

Why dont we/you upgrade? It is to do with the custom code?

Yeah, it would involve a lot of work and money to upgrade. A lot of stuff would likely need to be rewritten or would never work again including this nice custom theme that JJE created.

Oh, I see. This may sound like a stupid idea but Ive just had one, what if you were to host this forum here for the emails and stuff and then a forum.helionet.org for another forum with new topics etc. (linked to the same database, if possible)?

Or is the new forum an absolutely no go?

Then we have to maintain two forums and deal with user confusion. Newer software uses a different database design, so they can’t share databases either.

We’re basically stuck in the past on the forum software, and there’s not really anything that can be done about it. IPB4 would be the easiest upgrade, and even that’s difficult due to the costs, theme and custom code. Our time is better spent elsewhere. Krydos is busy keeping everything running, dealing with stuff I can’t do, and slowly working through the backlog of service enhancements (things like getting RoR on other servers, a request page in cpanel for asp.net, etc.). I recently picked up Heliomine on top of the customer support here...