[Solved] Suspended: Atn2017

atn2017

a. username: atn2017
b. server: tommy
c. main domain: atnranking.heliohost.org

Hi there! My account was suspended and I could renew it. But in order to avoid this happen again, I'd like to know what happened because this is a simple site that friends use to schedule / post results for tennis matches, so nothing that I judge as prohibited per HelioHost.org rules.

Thanks!

Paulo.

I'd like to know what happened

-

your account was suspended for inactivity - because you did not logged into your account for more than 30 days at [ https://heliohost.org/ ]

to prevent this from happening - you must login to your account at [ https://heliohost.org/ ] - with no more than 30 days after your last login

If you are still seeing the "Account Suspended" page - after reactivating your account - clear your browser's cache and history - close browser - reopen browser - then check your site again

###

-

nothing that I judge as prohibited per HelioHost.org rules.

-

you renewed (i.e. unsuspended) your account - that says you were not outside of the TOS - else the Admins would need to unsuspended you account (if they would)

###

Some people have issues with using the heliohost.org site to log in too. If that doesn't work for you, sign in using https://tommy.heliohost.org:2083/ instead

Inactivity was my fault... I didnt know that....Well... my site does not require me to log in. Im done with it and all my updates to DB are done via Excel VBA. Is there a way do add me in a exception not requiring the monthly CPanel login ?

Logging in every 30 days is how we check to see if you still need your website. Since we're a free hosting provider thousands of people create accounts and then never log in again. The system automatically suspends these abandoned accounts to reduce server load, and if the owner still doesn't renew their account they eventually get deleted to make room for other people who are still using their accounts.

We're all for removing the annoyances of hosting a website on our service though. Since we've been struggling to pay the bills lately we've been brainstorming ideas to earn more revenue and donations. One idea is a user could set up a recurring monthly donation of any amount that they feel our service is worth from $1.00 USD or up. Much less than one dollar and paypal takes all of the money as fees so we don't get anything. As long as the monthly donation isn't canceled the recurring donor would never need to log in to their account again. If the recurring donation is canceled then you would go back to needing to log in once every 30 days or less. Is that something you would be interested in?

• Like 1

Logging in every 30 days is how we check to see if you still need your website. Since we're a free hosting provider thousands of people create accounts and then never log in again. The system automatically suspends these abandoned accounts to reduce server load, and if the owner still doesn't renew their account they eventually get deleted to make room for other people who are still using their accounts.

We're all for removing the annoyances of hosting a website on our service though. Since we've been struggling to pay the bills lately we've been brainstorming ideas to earn more revenue and donations. One idea is a user could set up a recurring monthly donation of any amount that they feel our service is worth from $1.00 USD or up. Much less than one dollar and paypal takes all of the money as fees so we don't get anything. As long as the monthly donation isn't canceled the recurring donor would never need to log in to their account again. If the recurring donation is canceled then you would go back to needing to log in once every 30 days or less. Is that something you would be interested in?

Sounds good to me. Better would be if I could, for example, donate, lets say, $20 for a whole year... and no logins required for 365-days. =)

That'd be another alternative. Basically the same principle but paid up front. Could also offer a discount for doing that. $2/month, or $20/year.

Excelnt. Like a Premium Account.... Perfect to me !! Do you guys need to implement that on servers, or can I donate today ?

That would need to be implemented yet. It's just an idea we've been floating for a while. We haven't decided officially if this is a route we want to go, or what the prices would be if we do (the numbers I gave were based on your example).

I'll move this over to Escalated so Krydos remembers to look at it again since there's interest here :)

That would need to be implemented yet. It's just an idea we've been floating for a while. We haven't decided officially if this is a route we want to go, or what the prices would be if we do (the numbers I gave were based on your example).

I'll move this over to Escalated so Krydos remembers to look at it again since there's interest here :)

Ok. Probably you'll send us an email about it... I'll wait for that !

So here's the thing. Most if not all free hosting other than us is owned by a paid hosting service. That sounds fine, but what ends up happening inevitably is you get pressured to upgrade from the free plans to paid plans. Most free hosts are completely unusable because they're so restricted, but you don't know that going in. You happily make your site and get everything the way you want it and then you find out something ridiculous like you only have 100mb total bandwidth allowed per month. They use all sort of other high pressure tactics to get you to upgrade other than just bandwidth though too. Anyways, what ends up happening is the "free" hosting ends up just being a scam basically to trick people into getting paid hosting. When you find out your website is unusable on the free plan your only choices are to just pay them what they're demanding or start over completely from scratch again somewhere else. Obviously most people just cough up the dough.

Heliohost has always been different. We've always been truly free hosting with no gimmicks. The only limitations we put on accounts is to protect the integrity of our servers. We don't have the money or the man power to continuously buy more hard drives as we fill them so we can't offer unlimited disk space. We don't want to get our servers flagged permanently as a spam source so we throttle or suspend accounts that send more than ~50 emails per day without asking permission first and providing example emails to prove it's not spam. As I already explained the 30 day login requirement is just to prove that you're still using your account because our servers have a finite amount of room/resources and if an account is not being used we may as well delete it to make room for others. We're not trying to annoy you into paying, or forcing you to buy a paid plan.

The other problem is we have been losing money the last couple years. That's why we've been asking for donations. We don't want to start offering paid plans for the reasons I've listed above. It goes against our philosophy, but donations are and have always been greatly appreciated. But how do you differentiate between a paid plan and donation driven plan? Money is exchanging hands for a service in either case. I guess it really comes down to donations can be whatever size you think the service is worth to you. Not everyone can afford to donate, we get that, but those who are willing and able should get some perks for being so generous.

Long story short, we're going to try not to have set prices for things. The only reason we say it has to be more than a dollar at a time is so paypal doesn't take all of our money and leave us with nothing.

I'll email you when we have the exact details of how this will work hammered out.