Php On Tommy

n747mm

As part of moving from Stevie to Tommy, I'm trying to install a PHP-based utility on my site but am having problems. I'm not seeing any specific errors, just blank pages or lack of response. Are there any differences in how PHP is set up on Tommy that might explain this? It used to work fine on Stevie.

Thanks,

n747mm

Stevie used PHP 5.3. On Tommy you can pick between PHP 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, and 7.1. I believe 5.6 is the default. Maybe try changing it to 5.4 to be closer to the 5.3 that your scripts used to run on? Also if you post links to the exact script(s) that are causing problems I can take a look.

Thanks guys, not sure how I missed that. Changed to PHP 5.4 but no difference in behaviour. Any help you can give with the scripts would really be appreciated. Here's some more detail.

I'm installing the ORS resource scheduler (http://ors.sourceforge.net) latest version 3.8.1. The first stage of install is at scheduling/install/index.html and clicking on the start install link works fine, bringing up the page at scheduling/install/install.php which identifies the PHP version (so basic PHP is definitely working) and says step 1 is complete. But here's where it starts to go wrong. The next link goes to scheduling/upgrade.php, but here I just get a blank page in FIrefox. Using 'wget -S' to retrieve that page from a Linux command line, I just get a 500 Internal Server Error with no content. Using cPanel to check the error logs, I see no errors at all. Presumably something is up with upgrade.php, but I can't see what...

I did search the ORS forums but didn't find anthing relevant. ORS isn't very active these days -- last version was released 2010 which is why it didn't seem like it would be an ORS bug. However, with a bit of digging I found the problem and it is indeed a bug in the ORS code (a function was using $_POST as a local parameter variable and PHP was not happy about it). It's now working fine for me and I've posted a message in the ORS forum about the bug. I'm going to revert the PHP version to the default as I think the bug showed up due to a difference in tolerance between PHP 5.3 and 5.4 but now it's fixed the exact PHP version shouldn't matter.

Thanks for your help!