[Solved] Stevie To Johnny Transition

piwowap

Dear heliohost team,

first, let me thank you for your service and commitment running and supporting your free hosting service. In the last 3+ years, I enjoyed a nearly 100% uptime on Stevie. Thank you!

Due to the recent developments on Stevie, especially wolstechs and Krydos recent posts about Stevie (http://www.helionet.org/index/topic/26690-stevie-is-down-again/page-4?do=findComment&comment=122437 & http://www.helionet.org/index/topic/26690-stevie-is-down-again/page-4?do=findComment&comment=122463) I tried reating a new account on Johnny last night.

As I used the same domain on Johnny as I used on Stevie during my signup, something seems to have gone wrong during my account creation. Maybe it's the same problem user Luigi123 ran into, see post: http://www.helionet.org/index/topic/26747-delete-my-account-on-stevie/

A login to http://johnny.heliohost.org:2082/ with my new account fails a the moment.

Stevie data:

username: piwowapa

domain: cryofy.com

Johnny data:

username: piwowap

domain: cryofy.com

Please let me know if you need further info.

Cheers

Now I can also see the 'empty' directory when accessing my domain.

Nevertheless, I get an 'Invalid Login' response, once I try accessing cPanel (using http://johnny.heliohost.org:2082/ directly or the login on heliohost.org , see the screenshots below).

I supected a typo in my password first, but using my new sing in + password I can aceess the forums here with no issues.

Should I try resetting my password even though it's working here in the forums?

Could something else from my old account (piwowapa on Stevie) cause this issue?

Cheers and thanks for your fast response...

I just tried resetting the cPanel password for you and the one I changed it to didn't work either

@Wolstech, turns out the ACP didn't have the required permissions to change passwords on new Johnny. It's fixed now. Thanks for noticing the bug.

@piwowap, now that I fixed the above bug the reset password page https://heliohost.org/reset/ should work now. Let us know if you're still unable to reset your password and log in.

Password reset and login to Johnny was successfull :-), see the screenshot at bottom.

Great that this issue helped you bugfix a bug in your scripts.

One last question from my side:

As I'm transitioning from Stevie to Johnny and already have seen my domain working with a simple 'empty directory', I guess I do not need to adjust any nameserver details? Is this assumption correct?

Cheers

Johhny and Tommy use the same nameserver settings as Stevie, ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org. The rest of the settings we've already taken care of. You should be good to go. Let us know if you need any other help with anything though.

Great, thx for the info.

A last remark:

You guys should consider extending the 'payment options' for donations. At least 1 option, where you could use a credit/debit card (mastercard/visa/etc.) directly (in a best case scenario), without having to create accounts at some payment service. Another option: use bitcoin. Also, if possible, try using Amazon payments. Many people do have amazon account linked with their credit cards.

I would donate 20$ instantly, if I did not have to use Paypal and a possibility to donate directly using my credit card or Amazon...

I would donate 20$ instantly, if I did not have to use Paypal and a possibility to donate directly using my credit card or Amazon...

Yeah, you're not the only one who can't or doesn't want to use paypal. We're especially looking into alternatives that will work in countries that paypal doesn't operate in. If you have any other suggestions let us know. We'll take a look at amazon and bitcoins, but the problem with bitcoins is our bills cannot be paid directly with that currency.

You should see bitcoin just as another currency, a volatile one, and a vehicle to transfer currency from your donors to you. Once you have a certain amount in your wallet/coin_site, transfer it to your local currency.

Paypal does operate in my country, but I had some unpleasant experience with them in the past. Had to account for the origin and purpose of currency I received, when it was transparent from the start, where it was coming from and what it was for. Had to do a financial stripteas to get my currency. --> ByeBye Paypal, you'll never see me as a 'customer' again.

Did I mention, customer service via phone and mail is like hell with them...

Once you have a certain amount in your wallet/coin_site, transfer it to your local currency.

This is the problem. It's not particularly easy to transfer bitcoins to USD, and we can't pay our electric bill (for instance) with bitcoins. Paypal does the currency conversion for us so we can have our USD instantly without any extra work for us.

I'm no expert in bitcoin. It was just an alternative suggestion from my side.

Paypal does the currency conversion for us so we can have our USD instantly without any extra work for us.

I know, from personal experience. In my case it was $ -> €, even though the conversion rate 'sucked' and was absolutely not up to date.

There must be other services besides Paypal, where people could use their credit cards to donate money to you. So far, I never needed such services, besides Paypal for some time, and have absolutely no idea about the maket of PSPs (payment service providers).

From people from north america you could accept simple 'wire transfers'. For Europe that's not an option, as you had to use the SWIFT system.

In most cases, the fees to use SWIFT would eat up or exceed small donations. In general, currency-transfer-fees are a big issue for small payments/donations, especially if you'd like to provide them world-wide.