[Solved] Suspended: Brunik, Brew, Shali, Josybrew

Hi,

All 4 user accounts have been suspended. I think they are all on Stevie. But here are the mappings between user and domains:

brunik -> http://west-herts-squash.heliohost.org

shali -> http://watford-tennis-west.herts.heliohost.org

brew -> brew.heliohost.org

josybrew -> wacc.heliohost.org/cpanel

I really don't know what can have happened. Please tell me. I have been running most of these sites on helio for years without causing any problems.

Thanks, Nick

This account has been suspended for violation of our one account per user policy which is clearly stated during the creation process of each and every account on Heliohost.

A common misconception is that you need a separate account for each website that you want to host, but since Heliohost differs from most free hosts and even most paid hosting by offering unlimited addon domains, unlimited parked domains, and unlimited sub domains one can easily and conveniently host as many separate websites as they wish all from your one free hosting account. If multiple accounts were created to get around our disk space limit we strongly suggest using a free service such as dropbox to host your large images, videos, and downloads while continuing to host your website with us if you wish.

If you understand that each user is only allowed to have one active account please let us know which account you would like to use and it can be unsuspended for you. Also let us know if you need backups of any of the data on the other accounts, and if there are any domains on the suspended accounts that you would like to host on your main account because we will need to remove them from the suspended account before you will be able to host them on your unsuspended account. For example:

user1: unsuspend

user2: backup

user3: backup, idontreadrules.com

user4: thoughticouldgetawaywithit.org

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did not know users cannot have multiple accounts. I figured as it was so difficult to create an account, and you needed a different email per account, that it was allowed. The main reason I did that was so that my domain names more accurately described what my sites were doing. It was not really about space issues, although in the long term 500MB may prove restrictive.

What I don't understand is how you know that I have multiple user accounts. I can't see there would any way you could have been able to tell, until after I told you so on this email thread which was after all my accounts got suspended.

I would really appreciate it if you made an exception for me because I created the 4 accounts in good faith. I don't recall ever seeing a notice stating you can only have one account.

thanks, Nick

We don't generally make exceptions to this policy other than for those who need another account for something like Java (even then, it's 2 total, 1 per server, and you need permission from an admin).

We can however let you back your data up and remove your domains so you can combine them into one account. If you want to do this, tell us which of the 4 you want to back up, and which one you want to keep. We'll unsuspend one at a time, then you make backups and remove your domains. When you're done, let us know and we'll resuspend it and move on to the next one.

When it comes to how we tell, I can't go into detail, but I'll say that the server has software that can catch some for us, and they're usually pretty obvious if we look for them manually.

As for not seeing a notice about this policy, it's hard to miss on the signup page in the red box: http://www.heliohost.org/home/create-johnny-account

I did see the sign 'Only one account is allowed per user but to me it wasn't clear that you weren't allowed to create multiple users. I thought it meant for each user you can only have one 'domain' e.g for my user 'brew' my root domain can only be 'brew.heliohost.org'. I understand I can create as many pre-fixes in front of 'brew'.

Saying that I understand your policy now, I need to have a think which domain I should keep. They are all 'community based' sites, making no profit, doing no harm to heliohost, been going for many years, with many community based users.

thanks, Nick

Hello,

I think you are being unfair. I genuinely misunderstood the prohibition on multiple accounts (see previous reply). It is not as if I've gone and created hundreds of accounts. I have 4 and they don't cause you any problems.

But if you don't budge can you please reinstate the 'josybrew' account so I can get 'wacc.heliohost.org' running again. I also want to retrieve all the files and database content from the accounts 'brunik' and 'shali'. I'm not bothered about the 'brew' account.

Thanks, Nick

Done 'shali'. Now please unsuspend 'josybrew'. Much appreciated your cooperation on this.

I have a question. From the account 'shali' I have a site whose 'root' domain was 'herts.heliohost.org', so the site that people are using is 'http://watford-tennis-west.herts.heliohost.org'. Now when 'josybrew' is unsuspended my root domain will be 'wacc.heliohost.org'. Is there any way to provide the unfortunate watford tennis players with their old webiste on the 'josybrew' account? i.e. not having to change the URL which would be a step too far for these kind of people.

thanks, Nick

You can only have one .heliohost.org subdomain, so if you want to keep that domain, you'd be best off either keeping shali instead of joysbrew, or keeping joysbrew and changing your main domain (which will cause you to lose wacc.heliohost.org).

I'd recommend looking into real domains though. If you have a real domain, the URL can stay the same regardless of the hosting service behind it.

I think I actually want to have the account 'shali' reinstated as I just realised my 'josybrew' site is using a database associated with 'shali' account.

I have retreived all the files from 'josybrew' so can you please suspend 'josybrew' and unsuspend 'shali'.

cheers, Nick