[Solved] SSL Certificate Installation

Bryan Parks

I would like to install a self-signed SSL certificate. I went ahead and setup my key file and certificate and installed them before I came to understand that I need a dedicated IP address in order to use this. May I have one, please so that I can take advantage of SSL? Thank you.

My cPanel name is "99centsclassified".

• 4 weeks later...
Is this one-time fee or is per-month / per year?

I have heard that the reason they have been charging for static IPs is because IPv4 doesn't have nearly enough possible addresses and the internet is basically out of IPs, as soon as everything gets switched over to IPv6 we will have essentially an unlimited number again and stuff like static IPs should become free again. We'll see. It's sometimes tough to get people to stop charging for things once they start. Just like it's tough to get governments to cut programs once they are created.

Is this one-time fee or is per-month / per year?

I have heard that the reason they have been charging for static IPs is because IPv4 doesn't have nearly enough possible addresses and the internet is basically out of IPs, as soon as everything gets switched over to IPv6 we will have essentially an unlimited number again and stuff like static IPs should become free again. We'll see. It's sometimes tough to get people to stop charging for things once they start. Just like it's tough to get governments to cut programs once they are created.

It's a chain actually.

The RIR will charge the LIRs.

LIRs will then charge smaller providers or end customers..

So we need to pay for the static ip as we "remove" its availability from the general pool and someone pays for it.

However you are right, IPv6 can support 340 undecillion addresses so its pointless to charge them.

On the other side, i could think a reason for ISPs to charge Pv6. -> A "privilege" to have your very own address.

Our datacenter is fully behind IPv6 and we're just waiting for cPanel to introduce support. Once they introduce support (looking like it'll be towards the end of this year or the start of the next) then we will request a big block of IPv6 addresses and begin allocating them. We can probably assign one IPv6 per account.

However, the Internet will probably take a while longer to introduce IPv6 routing. Until that occurs, running SSL/TLS without an IPv4 will be challenging.