broadband , cable or dialup .. wich do u prefer?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you mean kyougi? optical cable is way faster than regular cable...no?

It is, but unless you're mass downloading off of several sites, setting up shared internet for a bunch of people, or setting up your PC as a server, you don't need more than regular high-speed cable. Websites will slow you down, that's a guarantee.

cable is the fastest except some security issues required attention.

your ISP would normally setup the connection with cable modem and that makes your PC connected to Internet directly with routable ip address and if you dont configure your system with enough security application like firewall etc, your system would be possiblly exploited.

one good countermeasure would be put a router btw your pc and cable modem and configure the router firewall to protect your sytem in terms of ports opening, forwarding issues.,

• 4 weeks later...
How does a router stop hackers from gaining access to our computers? And even if it does work, you can just download free firewall programs to protect your pc instead of wasting money on buying a router.

Most routers have a strong, built-in firewall...and routers are more valuable in the fact that they allow you to have more than one computer connected to the Internet...and because everything has to go through the router that makes the router much stronger protection than a firewall.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using Zonealarm Pro (Firewall). It has stopped every hacking attempt to my computer(I think). It even comes with program control and lots of other stuff but is not suitable for people who are new to computers and as they would get confused by the questions it asks you.

lol dragonfire program control is a really common feature...i have a trial version of norton internet security that came with the laptop but i also have norton antivirus (not as great, but free from rebates) and mcafee security suite 07 (which i don't think works on vista)

zone alarm's questions aren't confusing, they're just annoying.