[Solved] Looking for a simple eMail hosting

DmC

Why doesn't Helio offer an eMail hosting package for end users. Not business oriented, simple stuffs to begin with.

My needs are pretty simple. I have my own domain, super low volume of sending/receiving and I need a place to host it. A couple of GB storage would be more than enough.

Nothing complicated, the 2024 standards:

• SMTP IPs with reputation that won't suck (ie not used for shared hosting etc),
  • DKIM,
  • SPF
  • and obviously 2FA / App passwords.
  • Anti-Spam

I'm perfectly aware that you offer a decent VPS but setting up, maintaining, and keeping secure an eMail server requires effort and time I don't have.

Food for thought @Krydos?

Krydos doesn't usually read the customer service forum. I'll put this in the escalated bin so that he sees it.

That said, we don't offer standard email services for a few reasons. The main ones are a combination of available resources, and that we (and our ISP) don't want to deal with the hassles related to abuse of such services. Abuse management alone can be extremely time consuming and expensive, and be a job on its own. This is the same reason we have a 50/day sending limit on our shared hosting plans.

You could run your own mail server on a VPS as you said, and several other users have done this successfully. I would recommend limiting accounts on a VPS to people you know and not offer public service, since doing so runs the risk of it being used for spam. If we receive abuse reports or other complaints for the VPS IP, it may be subject to cancellation without a refund.

On 10/6/2024 at 8:03 AM, DmC said:

SMTP IPs with reputation that won't suck (ie not used for shared hosting etc),

You can purchase a dedicated IP for $2 per month, or save $4 by purchasing a year for $20. Your reputation will be entirely based on your emails alone, because no one but you will be sending emails from it. If we could give you a free dedicated IP we would, but we have to pass our costs along to the end user.

• DKIM,
  • SPF

Yes, these are available for all HelioHost accounts.

and obviously 2FA / App passwords.

We have had a few people request 2FA for their HelioHost logins, and we plan on implementing it eventually. You can set a password for each email account, but I'm not sure you can set multiple passwords for the same email address.

Anti-Spam

Spam assassin is already available for all email accounts hosted on our servers.

A couple of GB storage would be more than enough.

The first gigabyte is free on Johnny, or $1 on Tommy. If you need 2 GB they can be purchased for a one-time donation of $5 on either Johnny or Tommy. The maximum storage available on Johnny or Tommy is 6000 MB, but we plan on increasing that to 7000 MB in early 2025.

I have my own domain, super low volume of sending/receiving and I need a place to host it.

You can send 50 emails per day, and receive an unlimited number of emails per day. The send limit can be raised as well if needed.

TLDR:

We already have everything you listed except app specific passwords for email accounts and 2FA, but we're planning on adding 2FA eventually. For what you described it would be $6 setup fee, and then $20 per year after that.

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] Looking for a simple eMail hosting
  • Krydos locked this topic