Tommy Upgrade

Krydos

12 hours ago, karplus said:

Thanks you, now it works.

Only a couple of fixes needed:

1. Requests module is missing for python 3.12
  2. SFTP access: which ip/dns port should I use? Connection info available in https://tommy.heliohost.org:8443/smb/web/view/79/connection-info lacks port while ip listed is not "networkly" reachable. I already tried new tommy.heliohost.org and 1373 port pointed here https://wiki.helionet.org/management/uploading-files

You should have received an email containing the IP address needed for connection and for setting your Cloudflare DNS A and AAA records. Also I have been using port 21 with Explicit TSL/SSL for FTP.

Edited by Ookma-Kyi

16 hours ago, karplus said:

Thanks you, now it works.

Only a couple of fixes needed:

1. Requests module is missing for python 3.12
  2. SFTP access: which ip/dns port should I use? Connection info available in https://tommy.heliohost.org:8443/smb/web/view/79/connection-info lacks port while ip listed is not "networkly" reachable. I already tried new tommy.heliohost.org and 1373 port pointed here https://wiki.helionet.org/management/uploading-files

Requests has been installed.

The SFTP not working was an issue on our end that has been resolved. Please try again (tommy.heliohost.org, 1373, SFTP) and see if it works?

The script that sets a moved account back up on the destination server wasn't configuring SFTP correctly due to a bug.

Any user who has already been moved and is experiencing issues with SFTP not working should let us know and we can manually fix it.

Any account moved after about 7PM Eastern today should not experience the problem.

On 9/21/2024 at 7:31 PM, Krydos said:

Your account was transferred from cPanel. Those old transfer accounts have all sorts of strange bugs. Since we have so few transfer accounts left, and there are no new transfer accounts being created I no longer waste my time trying to fix them. As long as people don't have any issues with these ancient accounts we just leave them alone, but as soon as they start to have bugs the first thing we recommend is a reset. If you can't get it to work on your own the only remaining option is to do a reset. This process deletes all your current content and recreates your account with all the default settings which fixes all the strange cPanel transfer issues because the account is created directly on Plesk.

If you want to switch your main domain back to the old Tommy to get the website working again immediately we can do that, and then we can allow you to have 2 accounts at once, one on the old Tommy and one on the new Tommy. Then once you get everything working on the new Tommy we can move your main domain to the new account as well.

My .htaccess Problem is solved.

15 hours ago, wolstech said:

Requests has been installed.

The SFTP not working was an issue on our end that has been resolved. Please try again (tommy.heliohost.org, 1373, SFTP) and see if it works?

Hello, I can confirm that everything works now.

I give an additional warning that surely will be useful for all; beware that scheduled tasks in the previous tommy2 environment are still active if you leave them enabled, and I guess that during this upgrade phase, filesystems of both instance are shared between them.

I have some tiny scripts that write some data in csv files, today i find out that records were doubled in some case, and file was a lot littler in size than expected; it turned out that there were written by the same task in both tommy2 and new tommy istance! So I login in old tommy2 istance and disabled the scheduled tasks.

• Like 1

beware that scheduled tasks in the previous tommy2 environment are still active if you leave them enabled, and I guess that during this upgrade phase, filesystems of both instance are shared between them.

The file systems are not shared actually. It's two completely separate copies.

That said, good to know about the scheduled tasks, and they could do this in some cases. For example, if it calls a URL to trigger the script, that URL will be called twice if the job is running on both servers. Since the domain's DNS updated to point to the destination server during the move, the new server's data is the data that updates.

14 minutes ago, wolstech said:

The file systems are not shared actually. It's two completely separate copies.

That said, good to know about the scheduled tasks, and they could do this in some cases. For example, if it calls a URL to trigger the script, that URL will be called twice if the job is running on both servers. Since the domain's DNS updated to point to the destination server during the move, the new server's data is the data that updates.

In this case, maybe you could add a button or link to email that used for migrating server, that button will be used for confirming that the migration process is successful and the user hasn't any issue. The link would disable every functionality in the old server for that user. 

Edited by Palpale

The logic is that they'll eventually just delete on its own. We only keep two to start with because both copies must exist for the seamless live migration to work. Users who use external DNS can't benefit from that anyway. We just didn't implement the delete part for Tommy2 since it's both the first test of the system, and because the entire server will retire soon anyway.

We also plan to use this code for internal moves down the road where user input is undesirable.

I was moved during the weekend and completed setting up DNS, etc., yesterday.

Today I was received by over 7 thousand spam messages in my inbox!

I mean, I guess I was receiving spam before, but the spam filter catched most and only a handful ended up in my inbox (about 2 to 5 daily), which was a nuisance but workable. But now, having to sift through thousands of emails is going to take forever.

Did you guys disabled the spam filter for the moved accounts? Did I do something inadvertently to turn it off? I don't see a spam filter option in the Mail Settings tab.

The spam filter is definitely present on the new tommy and looks to be turned on (the settings are under the mailboxes, under Mail, click on an address in the list, and you'll see Spam Filter as a tab).

The server-wide settings are also identical.

Since your account is a legacy cPanel account, it's likely full of weird bugs anyway. There's nothing obviously wrong, but these accounts are ancient and their conversion to Plesk introduced a lot of strange issues that only these accounts experience. The only solution we have for converted cPanel accounts is to reset them and let you rebuild it. You'd have to set your sites backup from backups and recreate your mailboxes if we do that. If you want to go that route, let us know.

1 hour ago, wolstech said:

The spam filter is definitely present on the new tommy and looks to be turned on (the settings are under the mailboxes, under Mail, click on an address in the list, and you'll see Spam Filter as a tab).

The server-wide settings are also identical.

Thanks, found them. I was looking for something like a site-wide setting, not a per-mailbox one. Every mailbox has the spam filter on and the sensitivity at the default 7.

We use GMail to get the e-mails from Tommy's servers, so I set up a filter to erase incoming messages from the "GMail Team" (mail-noreply@google.com) with the phrase: "contained a virus or a suspicious attachment", so that should take care of the flooded inbox.

I also found a recent message in HelioHost's  Discord stating: "Gmail must have messed with their filters again", because "spam [was] up". So GMail may be the culprit here. Hard to say because there was no follow up to that comment (in was in the General channel, not in Support).

1 hour ago, wolstech said:

The only solution we have for converted cPanel accounts is to reset them and let you rebuild it. You'd have to set your sites backup from backups and recreate your mailboxes if we do that. If you want to go that route, let us know.

Not for the time being, no, thanks. I'm hoping the GMail filter will take care of the current spam flooding problem... and that GMail will adjust their own filters as well.

Regards,