[Solved] NixOS as Bare OS

Hello HelioNet,

Recently stumbled upon this resource (Heliohost/Helionet), I noticed I can choose an OS when I sign up for a VPS. Based on what I'm reading, very interested in becoming a member; especially with the idea of snagging a free account on Johnny.

But looking at what I do have the time to get right now, can I choose a custom template such as NixOS? Looking to sign up for a VPS.
I currently use this same template with Linode & more than happy to work to get NixOS going on the platform/beta test deployments.

I would even be happy to write Guides & Source Code for HH in my free time.

Kind Regards,
Vince

Krydos can answer this for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "not supported" since it would require he install this manually if you wanted to use an OS that's not listed.

On 5/6/2024 at 10:04 AM, wolstech said:

Krydos can answer this for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "not supported" since it would require he install this manually if you wanted to use an OS that's not listed.

14 hours ago, Krydos said:

We could do the Minimal x64 if you want.

Awesome! this is exciting!

Reflecting back to my experience & what I know, there will have to be effort to get NixOS working on Heliohost just like other hosts. There are many resources that already exist out there that will help bridge the gap for these efforts I could be also blowing this process itself out of proportion but I always like to be over prepared than not prepared.

As such To heed @wolstech's response; I propose the use of the following resources to achieve the goals of getting NixOS working for Heliohost & encourage further development of NixOS within HelioHost:

Again, I like to be over prepared rather than under prepared/not prepared. Having the above resources I believe would best bridge the gap for collaborations. Maybe other people who have experience with Nix could provide perspective here.

Kind Regards,
Vince

Hello @Krydos,

I apologize in advance for the extra effort here; I made a mistake through the ordering process & selected one of the predefined options that did not allow me to choose a custom OS.
Could I have the VPS Rebuilt with a NixOS ISO?

Below is the following information related to this request:
- Username: VM
- OS Requested: NixOS 23
- Domain: vps96.heliohost.us

Please let me know if there is anything else needed from me.

Kind Regards,
Vince

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] NixOS as Bare OS