[Solved] Python packages required on Johnny server

lalithb

• lalithb changed the title to Python packages required on Johnny server
# /usr/local/python3.10/bin/pip3.10 install kindly daphne
Collecting kindly
  Downloading kindly-0.2.0-py3-none-any.whl.metadata (986 bytes)
Collecting daphne
  Downloading daphne-4.1.0-py3-none-any.whl.metadata (6.5 kB)

I figured it would cause an error because I always install Python modules in the normal way, but it turns out you can kindly install Python modules.

# /usr/local/python3.10/bin/pip3.10 install tz_detect
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tz_detect (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for tz_detect

# /usr/local/python3.10/bin/pip3.10 install corsheaders
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement corsheaders (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for corsheaders

There is no module called tz_detect or corsheaders though. The rest were installed. You can see the current list of installed Python 3.10 modules and their versions at https://krydos2.heliohost.org/pyinfo/info3.10.py

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] Python packages required on Johnny server

My bad, the packages are actually django-tz-detect and django-cors-headers. I request you to kindly add these two along with channels-redis.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by lalithb

I'm using redis-channels so that I can use consumers in my websocket to listen for 'onmessage' events. It's a just a small side project I did that implements basic chat functionality to learn Django better.

I apologize for the oversight.

I can host redis separately as you suggested.
I still need the following modules:
django-tz-detect
django-cors-headers
channels-redis

I request the root admin to kindly install these.
Thank You!

• wolstech changed the title to [Krydos] Python packages required on Johnny server

You might want to get a VPS so you can have Redis and install modules yourself. If you use an external Redis server it's not going to be very secure, and the performance won't be great either. VPS start at $4 per month and come with root SSH access so you can install all of this stuff yourself, and the Redis server will be local which will be much more secure and as fast as possible. You can signup at https://heliohost.org/vps/

Hey there!
Firstly, thank you for the suggestion.

However, I did consider getting a VPS but soon realised that it was a bit excessive for my purposes. My project won't have much traffic nor am I going to make optimal use of all those resources. I am putting my project out on the internet solely for the purpose of getting a better understanding of Cloud Deployments and to put my knowledge about Django to the test by actually having it out on the internet rather than using localhost.

Furthermore, as wolstech suggested, I am now using an external server with TLS, so I no longer need to have the channels-redis module on Johnny servers. I would be grateful if you could add the other two django packages!

Regards,
lalithb

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] Python packages required on Johnny server

Johnny and Tommy are still running CentOS 7 and that's the latest version of SQLite that the OS will ever support. Morty is running Alma 9 and has SQLite 3.34.1 currently, but that server hasn't been released yet. If you need a newer version of SQLite immediately you will need to get a VPS. MariaDB and PostgreSQL will likely have much better performance than SQLite anyways and are easier to use.