CPU load and 504 Gateway Time-outs

spacemonkey95

Hi,
I started an account with HelioHost last weekend. I made a fresh installation of Wordpress and started developing a simple website with a few plug-ins. I've made no adjustments to any of the core Wordpress files, including wp-config. However, my account was suspended for a day, then reinstated with no explanation, and I've just returned to it today for the first time and I'm getting 504 Gateway Time-out every time I load a page. Any idea what might be going on, please?

It says the site is Quarantined at the moment, but I don't know what's causing the increased load on the server. The website is brand new from a fresh installation of Wordpress and only contains a few basic pages.

Please let me know what might be causing this and how to fix it, as I really need to get this site complete quickly and make it live.

Kind regards,
Daniel

WordPress struggles to run here because of how poorly it's written, especially when plugins are used. Usually WP sites just cause load to the point you end up suspended, but sometimes the pages take long enough that the nginx gateway times out waiting for Apache, which means your WP install is so bloated from extensions that the pages can't even generate in 30 seconds.

Start by removing all of your extensions and testing it. Vanilla tends to run decently. Then add them back one at a time. WooCommerce, WordFence, and Elementor are some extensions well known for causing load and performance issues, but there are plenty of others as well...

The best solution is to replace WP with different software, but that may not be an option for you.