[Solved] Is my website down?

allu62

Hello (after a long time). Yesterday evening still ok, I actually get a timeout for https://www.streetinfo.lu/ Pinging www.streetinfo.lu is ok, so no DNS problem... Can anyone, please, tell me if the site is down (it is hosted on vps43.heliohost.us)? Has anyone an idea what's the reason? What can I do/should I try? Thanks in advance for help...

Have you logged into the VPS and checked if httpd is still running? Might be as simple as apache having crashed and needing to be restarted.

That VPS is on Sparkie and is not affected by a current partial VPS outage (which affects users on Katie), so it's something to do with the software on the VPS.

Maybe you remember that I couldn't access my VPS because of problems with Hestia (components not updating, nginx not working ...)? Well, I did a backup of the site some months ago, but I never started to find the problem with Hestia. So, I think that we can say that it was just a question of time before this happened. My fault! Starting with subscribing for a VPS. I should have known that I've neither the knowledge, nor the patience, nor the will to be a sysadmin.

I guess that returning onto Tommy could be a solution. But, I think that perhaps the time has come to abandon my stupid idea to run a website. That the crash of the VPS happens at a moment where I've been another time betrayed by the social system of this f* country and where another time I am in a situation where I have to accept and to suffer without having any possibility to defend myself, even not to complain, is perhaps just a sign of the gods (whoever they are) that it's time for me to give up...

If Krydos thinks that he can fix the problem in less than 40 minutes, it's ok. Otherwise, I think that the best solution is to delete all my webdata on your servers and cancel the accounts allu and allu62. Thanks for, during some 5 years (I think), you have given me the impression to exist, to be a real human being. Thanks to everyone in this really great community who gave me some advice and suggestions during this time.

The filesystem scan is still running so I can't even delete your VPS right now. As soon as the filesystem scan is done I can delete it then if that's still what you want to do. Another option is I could just build you a new VPS on a different server immediately and you can get your website back online. Then when your old VPS is back online you can copy over anything that you haven't already backed up recently and then shut down the old VPS. It's a good idea to wipe your VPS and rebuild it every once in a while to maintain maximum performance, and fix any bugs that may be accumulating.

Hi, Krydos. Have you run any fixes on my VPS? I ask, because my website is up again! How is this possible? You said that my VPS is not on the server affected by the filesystem scan. So, what may have changed? I just tried to access the site; it not only works but response time seems better than usually. Static content, Perl and MySQL is all OK. Only PHP seems not to work anymore (I get an error 500 with my directory listings).

Another thing that has changed is that https://vps43.heliohost.us:8083/login/ doesn't give an errror 500 as it did before, but an "Unable to connect" message from the web browser. Have you an idea what that means?

Having in mind that it's really not the moment for me to stress myself with admin tasks, what would you suggest? Letting all run as it is? Updating Ubuntu and/or Hestia? How great is the risk that doing so will "kill everything"?

15 hours ago, allu62 said:

Have you run any fixes on my VPS? I ask, because my website is up again! How is this possible? You said that my VPS is not on the server affected by the filesystem scan. So, what may have changed?

We originally thought that it was only Katie VPS that were affected, but after a while some of the other VPS were having issues as well. After the filesystem scan finished I went through and made sure every VPS was powered on and not locked up, etc.

I just tried to access the site; it not only works but response time seems better than usually. Static content, Perl and MySQL is all OK.

Sounds good!

Only PHP seems not to work anymore (I get an error 500 with my directory listings).

I used the command systemctl restart php7.4-fpm.service and it seems like PHP is working again. Another person reported a lot of PHP 500 errors after the filesystem scan ended and they had to restart PHP too.

Another thing that has changed is that https://vps43.heliohost.us:8083/login/ doesn't give an errror 500 as it did before, but an "Unable to connect" message from the web browser. Have you an idea what that means?

That is the Hestia login page where you can login to your Hestia control panel. Unable to connect may be a wrong username or password maybe.

Having in mind that it's really not the moment for me to stress myself with admin tasks, what would you suggest? Letting all run as it is? Updating Ubuntu and/or Hestia? How great is the risk that doing so will "kill everything"?

If everything is working well enough it may be best to just leave everything alone for now. If you have more free time later on we can get you upgraded if you want. Just let us know.

Thanks, Krydos. Everything OK again, including PHP.

If you think that it's reasonable to let everything as is, that's really fine for me.

The "Unable to connect" was probably due to a WiFi hotspot that blocks port 8083.

Yes, and now a nice example that demonstrates that computers are sometimes more magic than science: For the first time during months, Hestia CP is entirely functional again! I could access the control panel, all was OK, except for spamassassin not running. No problem to start it...

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] Is my website down?
  • Krydos locked this topic