[Solved] vps slow

nyten

hi, the vps is extremely slow and not useable today (VPS24)

top - 08:21:11 up  3:32,  2 users,  load average: 1.35, 1.07, 0.75
Tasks: 182 total,   1 running, 181 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  0.0 us,  0.2 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id, 99.8 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
MiB Mem :   1994.1 total,   1463.0 free,    253.2 used,    277.9 buff/cache
MiB Swap:    975.0 total,    975.0 free,      0.0 used.   1582.5 avail Mem

looks like something is wrong with the disk

The problematic VPS is being problematic again. The same guy as the last time we had issues with VPS being slow.

My personal VPS is usually about 0.25-0.50 load and nice and fast, but right now it's at 3.46 load and quite slow too. Another person's VPS is usually about 0.75-1.00 load and he's around 5.00 right now. I noticed the same thing over the last day, so just to see if he's the problem I shutdown his VPS and as soon as it was powered off the load on my VPS dropped to about 0.25 within a few minutes.

This problematic VPS paid us $259.20 for his server so it's a difficult situation because you can't tell him he can't use his VPS at all, but at the same time it's not fair to everyone else if he hogs all the CPU and disk I/O. Honestly though, I'm sick of dealing with his high load so I hope he doesn't renew in a few months when it expires. HelioHost lost money every year for 6 years from 2013-2019 so we really need the money though. 2020 was our first year since 2012 that we actually gained a little money partially because of this guys huge VPS payment.

Another thing to consider is Johnny hogs a lot of CPU and disk I/O too so that causes VPS to be slower too. When we realized that Johnny was causing issues with the VPS we started a fundraiser to buy new hard drives so we can separate Johnny from the VPS. The fundraiser was successful and we will be installing the new hard drives on August 30th. After we move Johnny off to his own hard drive that should improve VPS performance too.

I'll contact this guy again and see if there's anything we can do to reduce his load.

Another possibility that would solve this problematic VPS is after we rebuild Ricky with Plesk our old Stevie server will be sitting empty. If his high load continues and if he renews I will probably end up offering him the whole Stevie server where he can use as much drive I/O and CPU as he wants because he'll have the whole server to himself.

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] vps slow
  • Krydos locked this topic