[Solved] Unable to register nameserver, provider claims its on HelioHost's end

mabass

Hi,

I'm currently trying to point my other domains towards my HelioHost account.

While my .tk address, registered via freenom, accepted the nameservers without issues (and is now in que), my .de address failed.

The non-descriptive error my domain provider (STRATO) gave was simply "The provided nameserver is not responsible for this domain." [my translation; in German: "Der angegebene Nameserver ist nicht für diese Domain zuständig."]

Strato's customer service simply stated that this issue isn't on their end and I'd have to contact you.

Given that the .tk domain worked without issue and Strato has a bit of a s...poor reputation I'm somewhat suspicious but figured I might as well ask you:

Any idea, why registering the nameservers via Strato fails, while .tk worked fine?

For the record: I tried parking the .de domain in cpanel, which - as expected - failed due to "the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver."

Thanks!

It seems like more and more registrar's are doing this lately. It's a circular dependency. Cpanel requires the nameservers to be set before you can add the domain, and the registrar requires the domain to be added to cpanel before they will let you set the nameservers. The industry standard for the last 25 years or so is to set the nameservers at the registrar first and then add the domain to httpd.conf which is what cpanel does when you alias or addon a domain. It makes 100 times more sense to do it this way, because the nameserver check that cpanel does prevents people from doing dumb things like trying to add google.com as an addon domain. The best option is to contact your registrar and tell them their system is broken and they need to fix it, but obviously that rarely works.

A workaround is you can still use your domain from a broken registrar as your main domain, but then you can only have one such domain on your account. Some registrar you can trick by changing your main to the broken domain, and then getting them to set the nameservers correctly and then change your main domain back and add it as an alias or an addon domain quickly before they notice. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

Thanks for the thorough reply!

I think I'll just cancel the contract with my current .de provider and consider buying a domain from a provider that's guaranteed to work.

Do you by chance have an affiliation-programm with a provider for the Euro-region, i.e. .de or .eu? I'd be happy to support you that way.

You can register .de domains with our namecheap affiliate link. For instance http://heliohost.org/partners/namecheap/krydos.de It looks like .de domains are currently $6.88 per year, and namecheap is guaranteed to work with our nameservers because I've bought several domains from them and hosted them here.

Edited by Krydos
fixed link