[Solved] Ricky status

jbbdude

Software on Ricky seems to have been down intermittently for some time.

I have been getting 500 errors on all PHP pages. Plain HTML files are being served, so Apache seems to be OK.

I have gotten on-and-off errors when trying to load Softaculous and MultiPHP Manager. They have been returning errors about the cpanel subprocess receiving the "kill" signal. At this moment, both seem to be working (albeit sluggishly).

I understand the high Ricky load, due to the Tommy issue. Is there a page which identifies which services are functioning?

That kill signal message is basically just cpanel timing out. The cPanel web server process (cpsrvd) launches other processes responsible for producing various pages and carrying out tasks. When those processes take too long to finish and return their result, they're killed and that error shows up.

The page that shows various services is this: https://ricky.heliohost.org:2083/frontend/paper_lantern/home/status.html (clamd being failed is normal and can be ignored).

What's causing the PHP failure? I'm even getting a 500 on a PHP file containing only

<?php phpinfo();

I see high server load (as a percentage? what are the units?) and memory. I don't know how that would kill PHP functionality entirely.

As part of our resource management strategy, processes like PHP have a time limit after which the server kills them (this isn't PHP's max_execution_time, it's a server script that kills processes due to existing too long). 

If I had to guess, the PHP processes are starting but due to overloading are blocked on CPU/disk/RAM. As a result, they start and immediately idle, basically standing in line to get their resources...then run out of time and get killed by the script before they reach the front of the line and do their work. Their entire existence (starting, waiting, working, outputting, exiting) must take less than the time limit or they will die without finishing.

Apache starts them, then sees them inexplicably go away and throws a 500 error.

This is weird. That file is working in the root directory, but an identical PHP file is failing in a subdirectory(/subdomain/domain). Grav, Kirby, and WonderCMS (as installed by Softaculous) are also failing in subdirectories. (Edit: removed links)

I'm still troubleshooting... Tried setting a PHP version for that directory with MultiPHP Manager/.htaccess, no change.

Any thoughts?

Edited by jbbdude