Changes Coming

Ashoat

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice change. But still it saddens me that the forum community is so small. :(
Hopefully it will expand soon :)

The description under Webmaster or Coding Issues needs correcting (Anything discussions involving managing a website or writing code go here).

I like the majority of the category names except the top too. I'm guessing that you named them this way so people would be able to find the old posts. Here is some feedback on the categories.

Webmaster or Coding Issues - I would have called this Website Management and Programming. The word issues threw me off at first. It made me think it was an area to report site problems rather than an area to discuss website features someone needs help to implement. I also think the word programming encompasses more than just coding.

Computers, Tech, and the 'Net - In my opinion this should just read Technology and the Internet. Technology covers new developments in computers and other hardware. I didn't like the use of the Tech and Net abbreviations, it may not be interpreted correctly by people that have English as a second language.

Thanks for your suggestions - I've implemented most of them.

...but anyways, how many mod positions will there be? I'm assuming not a lot because the community is still pretty small?
Actually, I'm going to have a quite a few to allow for expansion :)

Rearranging the forums was what I wanted to be changed the most (it is really going to help cut back on spam). I think you should change the art and entertainment forum description so that it has to do with art related to web development and design rather than a nice place to get helions. I think the only forum that shouldn't explicitly be about web design is the other forum. This will help to actually make a large community since the community will be of people who are willing to collaborate on a common subject (by definition of the word), web design.

Other than that it's great.

Thanks djbob

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Are those certificates trusted by most major operating systems?

Unfortunately, not under M$ Windows, IE and Opera. I do not know if they have been included in the latest releases of Konqueror or other Linux browsers, as I have a rather old installation (Slackware 10). Anyway, I think they will be included at least in open-source browsers.

Then that's definitely a no. Untrusted certificates result in an "alert" from most browsers that makes us seem less secure than if we just didn't use a certificate.

I bet it's just moderating a forum, and if you would like to get more, you can apply more mods at different forum area.

But hope you won't do that, to let the chances to other people who's also interested. ^^ like me ^^

Hey djbob, how soon are the mod apps coming?

Will they be global positions, or just ones moderating specific forums?

They will be global.

Responsibilities include:

• Moderating discussions.
  • Providing HelioHost support.
  • You will be assigned a list of accounts. You have to check each account at least once every week to make sure there is no content breaking the ToS and that they are not abusing system resources.

Responsibilities include:
  • You will be assigned a list of accounts. You have to check each account at least once every week to make sure there is no content breaking the ToS and that they are not abusing system resources.

Isn't this list rather large? How many mods are you planning to have?

I thought the new HelioHost site needs a simple, user-friendly system to check whether a domain name has already been taken or not. I wrote a small script in PHP and a sample HTML page to show a possible way to do it. It's a button which sends a request to the server via AJAX and returns the result in the user interface. Of course, it is not shown if JavaScript is not enabled in the browser and/or it does not support AJAX. I've intentionally kept all the formatting to a minimum and commented the code.

The ZIP file is available as an attachment to this post. heliohost.zip

Usage: unzip the file, upload it to a PHP-enabled server, browse to index.htm using your favourite Web browser and enjoy.

Isn't this list rather large? How many mods are you planning to have?
There's currently around 1500. With 5 or so mods, that would mean 300 accounts. If they divided the accounts up into weekdays, they would have 60 accounts to review daily.

However, "reviewing" an account is very easy. I'm going to make a nice module that will sort of automate this with refreshing iframes, and like 50% of all accounts have nothing on them. I estimate each account will take 20 to 30 seconds, so altogether each mod will have to spend up to 30 minutes daily checking accounts.

My guess is that most people will be willing.

I thought the new HelioHost site needs a simple, user-friendly system to check whether a domain name has already been taken or not. I wrote a small script in PHP and a sample HTML page to show a possible way to do it. It's a button which sends a request to the server via AJAX and returns the result in the user interface. Of course, it is not shown if JavaScript is not enabled in the browser and/or it does not support AJAX. I've intentionally kept all the formatting to a minimum and commented the code.

The ZIP file is available as an attachment to this post. heliohost.zip

Usage: unzip the file, upload it to a PHP-enabled server, browse to index.htm using your favourite Web browser and enjoy.

Does this check if a HelioHost subdomain has been taken, or if a TLD domain has been taken?

That's a lotta responsibility for a mod, IMO. Are there any perks to sweeten the deal?

Also, it sounds like you're going to be making mods review everyone, I thought you said before that it was just for the newbies to ensure a spam-free forum?

Does this check if a HelioHost subdomain has been taken, or if a TLD domain has been taken?

The script can be easily adapted to satisfy both tasks. I think it basically needs to perform a WHOIS query. I did not put anything in the code sample just to show how the system may look like.