Changes Coming

Ashoat

The home page looks nice. :)

However, I have dial-up so after about 8 minutes, I still only see the first couple inches of "Stevie"

Ouch.

So shipping Stevie off, does that mean that data transfer forms and mod applications are coming this month?

*hopeful look in his eye*

Also, on I think we should disable the quickview on the forums. How the most recent posts is displayed on the forum index. I think that's what n00bs gravitate to first and end up posting spam there. With quickview enabled, they don't bother to actually browse the forums. Then that post stays in the most recent slot and we end up with one post in every forum with 50+ replies.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quickview is the best thing I like about this forum.

It enables me to check the latest reply from the topic I posted earlier.

It saves my time from wandering around and look back to my previous posted and active topics.

The quickview is the best thing I like about this forum.

It enables me to check the latest reply from the topic I posted earlier.

It saves my time from wandering around and look back to my previous posted and active topics.

You can use your portal to check the active topics of the day. *points to upper left hand corner of the screen*

You can use your portal to check the active topics of the day. *points to upper left hand corner of the screen*

I feel like a total NOOB. I've never paid any attention to that. I'm glad you pointed that out.

How do I collect interest

You must deposit your helions in the bank. You can then collect your interest after 3:00 p.m. (0 GMT) the next day (depending on daylight savings time). After you collect interest, you can not collect interest until 3:00 p.m. (0 GMT) the next day. If you make a deposit in a period of time in which you can collect interest, it will void your interest for the day. Therefore you should collect your interest before you make deposits.

Thank you awesomejoe! I couldn't figure that out. No wonder I couldn't ever collect interest, I kept stupidly depositing helions every time I got just a few. That's a pretty good FAQ.

Thanks for pointing that out.

But still, I used to do that

*point to top right (view new posts)

Thank you very much, djbob - with these improvements you're really going to make HelioHost the most wonderful hosting provider on the Net. When I decided to transfer the site of our classroom (http://the1stclass.heliohost.org/) from another hosting provider (AlterVista.org) because of their limitations on space, bandwidth and MySQL queries per hour (!) and I found HelioHost listed on a free hosting directory, an ex-classmate of mine (and also ex-webmaster of the original site), looking at all the services you offer, said: "It's too beautiful to be true". After I had signed up, I admitted he was completely wrong.

I've got some suggestions about the improvement of HelioHost:

1) Ads

Ad revenue is a great way to support HelioHost's development. It would cover the costs of the new server, the Internet connection, energy (!), and so on. 448x60 banners are not so intrusive in a web site and will give you some money (even if they are only displayed and not clicked), as you suggested before. You may also give us some HTML code to let Google show ads in our pages if we want and contribute to this cause ;)

2) SSL certificates for the mail server

You may apply for a free Class 1 SSL certificate at startssl.com for the mail server if you want - that would remove the "Untrusted certificate" warning (at list with Thunderbird 2 or later).

3) Downtime alerts

It would be just nice if you added a cPanel module (or a notification service) to alert HelioHost users of any planned server downtime via e-mail. This could also be achieved with a new topic in the HelioNet forum.

1) Ads

Ad revenue is a great way to support HelioHost's development. It would cover the costs of the new server, the Internet connection, energy (!), and so on. 448x60 banners are not so intrusive in a web site and will give you some money (even if they are only displayed and not clicked), as you suggested before. You may also give us some HTML code to let Google show ads in our pages if we want and contribute to this cause

We used to have ads, but there are a number of problems with them:
  • They are hard to implement in the form of a script in combination with suPHP and suExec, who try to block all users from running scripts they'd don't own.
  • They never make much money. I make much more money putting ads on the front page than on the 1,500 or so accounts we have.
  • The only thing keeping HelioHost from being #1 in all the free hosting directories is the fact that we are still listed as forcing ads. By removing ads, we will become more popular, and as a result more people will visit our web page and click on our ads. Trust me: we'll make much more money this way ;)

2) SSL certificates for the mail server

You may apply for a free Class 1 SSL certificate at startssl.com for the mail server if you want - that would remove the "Untrusted certificate" warning (at list with Thunderbird 2 or later).

Are those certificates trusted by most major operating systems?

3) Downtime alerts

It would be just nice if you added a cPanel module (or a notification service) to alert HelioHost users of any planned server downtime via e-mail. This could also be achieved with a new topic in the HelioNet forum.

Yup, there is a "cPanel News" feature in cPanel/WHM for this. However, I rarely use it because most of the downtime we have is unexpected :(

Hmmmm.. yea indeed that was better.

but is it just simply reorganize the threads into groups rather than delete rubbish thread?

Anyway, appreciate the efforts you've bring us.

and longing for moderator, hopefully I'm one of the selected.

Nice change. But still it saddens me that the forum community is so small. :(

I would agree that consolidating the forums was a good idea and think the new format is better than the old. There were a few categories out there that seemed to have common topics and could be merged. Any chance you can post a structure showing what old categories were merged into new categories? I can sort of guess, but it would make the transition a little easier.

The description under Webmaster or Coding Issues needs correcting (Anything discussions involving managing a website or writing code go here).

I like the majority of the category names except the top too. I'm guessing that you named them this way so people would be able to find the old posts. Here is some feedback on the categories.

Webmaster or Coding Issues - I would have called this Website Management and Programming. The word issues threw me off at first. It made me think it was an area to report site problems rather than an area to discuss website features someone needs help to implement. I also think the word programming encompasses more than just coding.

Computers, Tech, and the 'Net - In my opinion this should just read Technology and the Internet. Technology covers new developments in computers and other hardware. I didn't like the use of the Tech and Net abbreviations, it may not be interpreted correctly by people that have English as a second language.

Yea, agreed on the Coding Issue.

It confused me when I first looked at it, because the old format, the first forum is to complain, and so I thought, how come Webmaster and Complain thingy can merge together?

After I look at the contents inside, I knew what's happening around... LOL

Anyway, I believe there's still a better format, this is just the prototype from djbob ^_^

crazy new setup! i like it tho. good job guys!

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Of course, this is too.

...but anyways, how many mod positions will there be? I'm assuming not a lot because the community is still pretty small?