Two Factor Authentication

DmC

That requires cpanel 68, the newest version we run is 66, and that's on Ricky. Tommy has 64, and Johnny is even older (and can't be updated yet due to the RoR support).

We rarely if ever update cpanel because all of our custom stuff breaks when we do. Upgrading cpanel is basically the second most involved thing we can do to just rebuilding the whole server.

I enabled two-factor authentication on Tommy. I actually thought it was enabled already. Not sure why it would be off by default.

Edit:

I can't see it under "password & security" :(

Edited by DmC

Our custom stuff modifies a bunch of cPanel files and scripts so releases of theirs that reinstall or updates most/all files in cpanel will break the service.

Does the LTS version update/replace fewer files per release, or does it still do a mass file replacement every time, but make fewer changes/enhancements? If it only patches a few files here and there as opposed to basically reinstalling it during update, it may be something we could consider for future servers.

I enabled two-factor authentication on Tommy. I actually thought it was enabled already. Not sure why it would be off by default.

Edit:

I can't see it under "password & security" :(

It has its own page under Security on the cpanel home page. It's right near the SSL options.

Our custom stuff modifies a bunch of cPanel files and scripts so releases of theirs that reinstall or updates most/all files in cpanel will break the service.

Does the LTS version update/replace fewer files per release, or does it still do a mass file replacement every time, but make fewer changes/enhancements? If it only patches a few files here and there as opposed to basically reinstalling it during update, it may be something we could consider for future servers.

I don't know. I only have a centos box with the cpanel edge tier...

But I think any update redownloads that install.sh

so I think it will wipe your modified scripts  :( .

But no confirmation there

(and there goes my 2fa!)

Edit:

I can't see it under "password & security"  :(
It has its own page under Security on the cpanel home page. It's right near the SSL options.

I saw It. Thanks :D

Well we're getting really off-topic here but I can't resist to ask.

If cpanel is not getting updated, how security patches are applied for it?

I mean cpanel has access throughout the whole system should't it be always patched?

Edited by DmC

If cpanel is not getting updated, how security patches are applied for it?

They're not. We do install the Centos updates though. If we installed the cpanel uplates as they intended, this service wouldn't function. Cpanel is only meant to handle a few hundred accounts per server. We've customized it to the extent that got 10,000 accounts out of 10 year old hardware...(Johnny), and it's actually stable, provided someone is not abusing the service.

Cpanel's own support has even recognized us as one of their most extreme use cases for what we've managed to do with it. Based on their design guidelines, we should have about 20 servers (they recommend about 400 accounts/server). We have 3.