[Solved] Unable to connect via FTP or SFTP

b0ardfac

Hi, I'm finding myself unable to connect to Tommy via FTP. (I have been using FTP because I never got SFTP to work, either; I am using WinSCP and Filezilla.)  The connection just seems to close as soon as I connect. Is there currently an issue?

EDIT: found that I can connect to FTP through VPN, though SFTP still fails as before. Has my IP been marked as bad?

(Also, on an unrelated matter, I'm finding the main Customer Support forum page ( https://www.helionet.org/index/forum/45-customer-service/ ) is maxing out my CPU usage, somehow? Reproduced in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge)

Edited by b0ardfac

(Also, on an unrelated matter, I'm finding the main Customer Support forum page ( https://www.helionet.org/index/forum/45-customer-service/ ) is maxing out my CPU usage, somehow? Reproduced in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge)

I'm looking into this issue, the forum page source reveals a possibly unauthorized CoinHive installation...thank you for reporting this. We had discussed offering a page on our site where people could leave that page open as a way to donate CPU time without installing HelioMine, but it was supposed to be used on a single dedicated page labeled for that purpose, not on our forums, and we were planning to use a different service that was not CoinHive.

As for the FTP issue, the IP you posted from is not blocked. Did you post through the VPN? If so, what's your normal IP so I can check. If the 108.168.** IP is your real IP, I suspect it's either an ISP or security software problem considering it works fine through a VPN.

As for the FTP issue, the IP you posted from is not blocked. Did you post through the VPN? If so, what's your normal IP so I can check. If the 108.168.** IP is your real IP, I suspect it's either an ISP or security software problem considering it works fine through a VPN.

That is my usual IP, yes. I also tried connecting from other machines on my home network and had the same issues, so if it's not IP-related then it may be my ISP.

My SFTP connection has never worked though, either normally or through the VPN; I always get a failure to initialize SFTP protocol after authenticating, or a disconnect with error code 1 -- this happens with WinSCP and with Filezilla.

FileZilla:
Host: tommy.heliohost.org 

Port: 1342

Protocol: SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol

Logon Type: Normal

Server Type: Default (Autodetect)

Transfer mode: Default

Charset: Autodetect

WinSCP:

File protocol: SFTP

Host name: tommy.heliohost.org

Port number: 1342

(Advanced options on initial settings)

Are there specific advanced/detailed settings you need?

Those are correct...no idea why the SFTP is broken for you. If I had to guess, either your network or security software blocks port 1342. This is common especially on shared networks and workplaces (public hotspot, enterprise network, university, etc.). As for plain FTP, I have no idea why plain FTP doesn't work without the VPN. Most places don't block that, and you're not blocked in our firewall.

Lets see if Krydos has any more ideas...moving so he sees this.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response; I was using VPN to get around the issue, and then got super busy for quite a long while.

It seems my regular FTP is working again without requiring VPN, so I'm not sure what changed there; perhaps it was something with my ISP, as theorized.

SFTP still isn't working for me; when I attempt to connect with FileZilla it gives this output:

Error:	Received unexpected end-of-file from SFTP server
Error:	Could not connect to server
Response:	fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
Command:	open "b0ardfac@tommy.heliohost.org" 1342
Command:	Pass: ********
Error:	Received unexpected end-of-file from SFTP server
Error:	Could not connect to server