Testing python script example from Kurose

jfbarbos

Hello,

I'm new to heliohost and new to web programming.

I've been studying the book "Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach" (Kurose & Ross). In this book there are examples of client-server applications (in python) unsing UDP and TCP. I would like to test this examples (for educational purposes) on Heliohost.

The problem is that I don't have any idea how to make the script of the server-side run on Helihost.

The scripts run properly on my localhost, but I would like to know how to make it run on Heliohost.

My username: jfbarbos

My domain: jfbarbosaboro.heliohost.org

My server: johnny.heliohost.org

Thanks in advance!

It likely won't. A server application like that would need to be run from a shell, which we don't offer for security reasons. We also block the ports anyway, so even if it ran, it wouldn't be able to communicate with anything. The client could possibly run if written to be viewed in a browser, though you'll need to use a common port number for communications.

This is the sort of thing you'd need a VPS for. Since you're just experimenting, there's a few places where you can get a free VPS that could do this. They're usually severely underpowered for any real use due to lack of memory, but for what you're doing, the free offerings that can be found on Google would be fine.

• Like 1