[Solved] Authentication Error

shinarit

Hey, no matter what I use, I can't log in to ftp. I use Total Commander, with these settings:

yqfb20b.png

Also tried: creating additional ftp users and use them to log in and connecting to johnny directly:

3IBYbQ3.png

No matter what I do, I get authentication error.

Logon type: Normal

Yes, these are the 2nd settings I posted, I already tried them.

No, you're using anonymous login according to your screenshots. Luigi said normal login. Our servers don't allow anonymous logins because then any random bot on the internet could upload viruses and stuff onto our servers.

Try this

Host: johnny.heliohost.org

Port: 1373

Protocol: SFTP

Logon type: Normal

Username: shinarit

Password: <same as cpanel>

I don't use anonymous login. Here's the log output from the connection:

fLzmbly.png

If the password is truly what I log in here and the cPanel then I'm sure I didn't mistype it. So what else can it be? I even tried to give a startdir, but that doesn't matter either.

Edited by shinarit

Did you try the SFTP settings (not to be confused with FTPS, with the S at the end, which does not work for most)? You may need a different client based on your pictures...I don't see an option for SFTP. Most people here use FileZilla with SFTP and it works.

The FileZilla settings for Johnny look like this: https://i.imgur.com/U5p0HL9.png

You'll enter your username and password when asked.

It's due to the fact that Johnny is severely overloaded. For reference, cPanel was designed to handle ~400 accounts on a server. We have over 5,000 on Johnny, and he creates and deletes over 100 per day. cPanel themselves have even admitted that what we've done has taken their product to extremes well beyond what they test for, and what any of their other customers do with it.

Take one look at the history for Johnny on http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor/ and you'll understand...

Thanks anyways, the documentation is somewhat ambiguous on the correct methods.

Thank you for the feedback. This is something we're working to address, as we know it's been an issue here in the past.

Our Wiki is in the process of getting an overhaul to help with documentation, and I think there's a few changes planned for the FTP information shown in cPanel as well (we're going to show the SFTP settings since they tend to work most reliably).