[Solved] Suspended: Capey

capey

username: capey

server: Stevie

url: afternoon.heliohost.org

Last time I was suspended for using too much bandwith and I suspect this is the problem again. None of my perl scripts seem to be that taxing, though. Is there any way to check which files were causing the issue?

We don't monitor bandwidth. You were suspended for excess resource usage (RAM and/or CPU) last time.

Your suspension this time is for the same thing. Your account has been unsuspended. Do be aware that a third suspension for this reason will be permanent.

Is there any way to check which files were causing the issue?

This support request is being escalated to our root admin. He may be able to provide you with the name of the file that caused the load.

Thanks for the stellar help. Messed up my wording on the bandwidth bit. I hope we can find the root of this problem so that permanent suspension won't be necessary. Seeing as I'm actively trying to solve the issue, is there any way to recover my account should this happen a third time? Or is that too much hassle on your end? I'll be making plenty of backups either way.

Any unsuspension beyond 3 for the same reason is up to us, but we're usually pretty flexible as long as you're actually working on fixing the software issues that cause it.

We have the limit because some users will just ask to be unsuspended over and over without fixing the problems. High load affects every account on your server (in this case Stevie), so letting people continuously do it over and over would just lead to performance issues and downtime. If you get suspended again before the admin posts the file causing this, we can unsuspend you again once the information is posted. It's not a hassle to unsuspend an account (it takes 30 seconds or so).

As for recovering the content of an account that's suspended permanently, our official policy is that we don't make/keep/provide backups, so what you're doing is the best course of action...make plenty of backups on your own.

Yeah, I really don't know. Maybe it's because it's been a few days since you were suspended on the 30th, but the log files don't really say much of anything about your account. You don't have any proxies, file sharing, or curl based scripts do you? The only reason I ask as those are the usual culprits for people seeing high load suspensions.

Sadly, I have none of those scripts. Just a simple perl BBS and a couple of other novely perl scripts. I don't think the BBS is at fault, because the original author also uses your service.

Assuming that the root of the problem is readable from the logs if we get to them quickly enough; what are the possibilities considering the reporting of another memory overload, should this happen again? Do you have any other advice for me to check if my code is clean?

I don't know if threads marked as Solved will still be read or that I'm better off making a new one.

My site has been offline for a couple of days now and I wonder if maybe something went wrong with removing my suspension. I also can't access my files via ftp. If this could be looked at, that would be greatly appreciated.