[Solved] Website Hacked

zooter80

At most, apache logs (if we even have them, which I don't know, an admin would) would show the IP of who connected, which could be hundreds or thousands of entries. As for backups, that is the users responsibility.

Put simply, you probably can't find out who did it, and no we don't have a backup for you.

The best I can recommend is that you rebuild your site using all up to date software. Outdated software is the number one reason people get hacked.

I got my site up and running, but pls. could you investigate from your end too?

http://www.zone-h.org/archive/ip=216.218.192.170

There is one more heliohost website too hacked..it looked like the config.php (sorry don't remember the exact php filename) was modified and defaced....I dont' know whether it was done via heliohost directly or via wordpress code injection

it's easy to deface a wordpress website if you use an older version but you appear to be using 3.9.1 which is the latest version.

You need to change the permissions of wp-config.php to read only even by owner otherwise you really are putting yourself at great danger. That means 'chmod 444 wp-config.php'. the permissions should look like this "-r--r--r-- wp-config.php".

Wordpress has hooks all over the places and so too many people write plugins and not all of them are safe. Try to not use any plugins unless they are very well maintained and written by people who know what they are doing.

Do read this too http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

@hussam -- thanks, i've changed the config permission. I assume I should change the config mode if i have to do some theme customization?

@Yashrs -- will install the ones you've mentioned as well as look into the XSS issue