[Solved] Increase Speeds On Server Johnny And Stevie

paladox2014

If we could make the servers faster, we would. If you're on Johnny, I'm not surprised your site is slow. That server has many more users on it, is more lenient about resource use, and also offers extra services such as Java, which further increases load. It bogs down frequently due to heavy resource usage.

If you're experiencing these issues on Stevie, your website may be the issue. If on Johnny, I'd suggest you move to Stevie if you don't need the extra features. I rarely if ever have much issue with speed on Stevie. Johnny on the other hand is down...a lot.

As for getting a third server, there's a lot that goes into doing that (getting hardware, then setting up, co-locating it, and paying for its continuous operational expenses, among other things). As far as I know, there are no plans to do so.

• Like 1

Stevie is already rather fast, and no, there is no way to make the speeds any faster than they already are on either server. We don't artificially slow the servers down or anything. Johnny is often slow from the heavy load it has on it, and Stevie isn't really slow at all except when someone overuses its resources (and they'll get suspended for doing so).

Everybody wants a faster server, but making it happen is not easy and possibly not cheap. If there was a way to do it, we probably would have done it already.

Stevie is averaging 266 ms response time for the last week, and about 262 ms for the last month. If you're not familiar with units of time 60,000 ms would be the response time if your claim that it takes a minute to load a page were true. That's decently fast for a free host with 99.9% uptime. I DO know how to make both Johnny and Stevie faster though. It's actually really simple: Delete about 90-95% of the accounts on both servers and start charging the remaining 5-10% like $10 a month or so. Simple solution to a simple problem. It's the exact same solution that most all of the rest of the web hosts in the world use, but that's what makes Heliohost different. We offer ridiculously good service (in my opinion) all for free.

There are already thousands in not millions of paid hosting options available in the world. There are very few good free webhosting options. Most free webhosts are just a gimmick that is owned by a paid host that they use to hook people into their service and then they do everything they can to get the person to upgrade to a paid plan instead of the free plan. Heliohost is different. We don't have any paid hosting plans so none of our users will ever be extorted into paying us money for anything. The other thing that I've seen occur quite often is a new free webhost will start up with a similar "nothing but free accounts" philosophy similar to us, but they quickly find that it's not a very profitable business to be in and they quickly switch to paid hosting or run out of money and shut down. Heliohost is different. We've been in business for nearly nine years now offering nothing but the best free webhosting on the internet. Not only that, but we're quite profitable so you don't have to worry about us shutting down for lack of money.

If you appreciate good, fast, reliable, free hosting without any tricks or bullshit then you're in the right place.

• Like 1