[Inactive] Server Flooded With Core Dumps

robev

Recently I've been running out of server space, and I realized it was because my WordPress folder was getting flooded with huge core dump files.

From what I've read, it is not necessary WordPress causing these core dumps, it could be issues with the Apache server, php version, who knows what.

I wanted to read the core dumps for information, but I'm having issues opening them in gdb. From what I've read, I need the binaries that generated the core dump along with the dump itself to open them. I'm not sure what binaries created it...or where to find them. For example, the php website suggests using something like

• gdb /usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd /path/to/core/dump

I don't have access to the server files, so I don't know how to proceed. I've read suggestions that I ask my server host to stop generating core dumps, which would solve the space problem, but not the issue that's causing them.

Any help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

domain name: http://robbiewolfe.heliohost.org

username: robev

server name: stevie

We are working on this issue and hope to have it resolved soon. In the mean time feel free to delete the core dump files. If you want I can provide you with a script that will delete all core dumps on your site.

Yeah, occasionally this core.##### problem surfaces. While we're looking into how to prevent the core files from being created in the first place it might help you to fix the errors that cause the core files in the first place. All of the core files I found on your account were for the same error:

Core was generated by `/usr/bin/php /home/robev/public_html/blog/wp-cron.php'.
Program terminated with signal 24, CPU time limit exceeded.

This means that wp-cron.php script is running for too long and being killed by the system. If you can find a way to prevent that script from running for so long, or disable it completely it would prevent those core files from being created.

Since your account was capped out at 500 MB, I deleted three core files for you and you're currently at 304 MB.

• 2 weeks later...