[Answered] Lighttpd

paladox2014

A lot of other things that integrate with apache would break, and cpanel probably doesn't support it, not to mention I'd be willing to bet the config files are incompatible between the two. Besides, Java and PHP (which we run as CGI if i remember right, not as a module) are almost certainly bigger contributors to load than apache itself.

An admin would be able to explain the details as to why this isn't feasible better than I can. While I will agree that Johnny is busy a lot, we do advertise it as experimental and having less uptime as a result.

Believe it or not we did actually manage to get ligHTTPD running on Johnny a few years ago. It did require a lot of crazy custom configuration, but it integrated decently well with cPanel. At first it seemed to work really well, but with a small number of users and a small amount of traffic it would destabilize and either crash or need a reboot once every couple months which wasn't really a big deal. As the number of users increased and the amount of traffic that Johnny received continued increasing that length of time also kept decreasing. When I finally scrapped ligHTTPD and went back to a nice standard stable build (that needs a lot more memory) I was needing to reboot Johnny every other day or so. It caused a lot more downtime that it was worth. Obviously we're constantly tweaking things and adjusting settings trying to maximize uptime, but what we have now is the best we've been able to come up with so far. Thanks for the suggestion though.