How are you doing it?

izver

http://wiki.helionet.org/What_is_HelioHost%3F

I don't know a lot of the really early history since I haven't been around that long myself, but I suspect that a lot of the start up costs were straight out of djbob's pocket and donations that he got from various places. Heliohost is actually self sustaining at this point off ad revenue alone of ads on helionet.org and heliohost.org. Obviously we don't force users to have ads on their pages or anything tacky like that. Some steps we're working towards in the future is separating the heliohost finances from djbob's personal finances and applying for official non-profit status. I'd say the biggest money saver for heliohost is that all of the admins are volunteers and are unpaid for what they do. Payroll is pretty much always the biggest chunk of the money for most businesses.

Too much information?

Simpler version: How does heliohost work? Answer: Magic.

Krydos is correct- the early funding was from djbob, but HelioHost is now self-sustaining (plus some funds in the bank). In case you are skeptical, there is no catch. This is professional-quality hosting for free.