HelioPanel Beta

jje

In the last few months, Geoff, cl58 and I have been working on giving users of HelioHost a different control panel experience that would solve problems you faced every day when attempting to control your website. And now, we have made a Beta version which you can try out on your own accounts and use to it's full ability. At the moment it has a File Manager and SQLBuddy suppport; this control panel can be a useful tool to site administrators.

HelioPanel is a control panel offered to the user's of HelioHost's services, which allows them to easily take full control of their website without facing any problems. The aim of HelioPanel is to resolve any common issues that user's face every day, and to make website management much easier. HelioPanel is completely free and is available to all HelioHost users. Simply enter your username and password, and we will set up the control panel for you.

Installing HelioPanel is as simple as one-two-three, and you don't even need to download anything on your personal computer; just enter your username and password and the installation is completed in seconds.

You can download, demo, and learn about HelioPanel Beta at the official HelioPanel Project Website:

http://heliopanel.heliohost.org/

We appreciate any comments and suggestions. :)

I would rather use cPanel than thew Heliohost custom panel actually. There's no way Heliohost staff can match the quality of cPanel without putting a crazy amount of work into it. Besides, cPanel's used everywhere and it's easier for others to use because it's universal.

• Like 1

Guest Geoff
Will it ultimately replace cPanel?

No.

What are your future plans with this script?

Sometimes cpanel doesn't have some features that we would like (example RoR 3). Not having our own control panel means we are subject to cpanel's lack of some features, this is just something to supplement cpanel.

I would rather use cPanel than thew Heliohost custom panel actually.

No one is going to force you to use HelioPanel. If you don't like it, then just don't use it.

Nice work, congratulations! Perhaps labeling the file action icons in the file manager would help contribute to ease of use? Also when attempting to delete a directory, PHP gave me an error (sorry, I didn't save the error so I can't post it) and the directory was never deleted. Again, nice work!

i like the look of it so far, but there's no way i'm switching to it when there's nothing but a file manager
If you like you can use HelioPanel for the File Manager and cPanel for anything else; there's no reason why you can't use both.

Nice work, congratulations! Perhaps labeling the file action icons in the file manager would help contribute to ease of use?
Thanks! :D I'll keep that in mind in the next update.

Also when attempting to delete a directory, PHP gave me an error (sorry, I didn't save the error so I can't post it) and the directory was never deleted. Again, nice work!
Read this knowledge base article. ;)

Congratulations Geoff and jje.
Thanks! :D

What are your future plans with this script?

Sometimes cpanel doesn't have some features that we would like (example RoR 3). Not having our own control panel means we are subject to cpanel's lack of some features, this is just something to supplement cpanel.

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to be sure. :lol: I think a good idea is to provide a real DNS Zone editor (something like the raw zone editor that WHM has) for power users. Of course, a zone reset feature would also be necessary in that case (like cPanel already has in it's "Advanced" DNS Editor) for those who touch things they don't know how to use...

One thing that really annoys me about cPanel is that it does not allow management of all types of DNS entries. One of the more common of the "advanced entries" are SRV. It's becoming more common for users to want to add these entries for Google Talk on their Google Apps Domain and in my opinion, I like doing things like this myself more for the learning experience. I hate having to resort to asking support channels to do things that I am very well capable of doing myself. I guess it can also help cut down on unnecessary support requests too.