Favorite Mobile OS

Mobile OS  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is your favorite Mobile OS?

All of those phones are expensive! I have a rubbish LG phone. However, I used to have an iPod touch (before it was stolen) which I loved to bits.

The interface, the feel of it all and the App Store make it the most desirable phone OS in my opinion.

I only use iOS, though I think it is the best mobile operating system to use anyway. :) The only improvement would be to enable Flash.

I've always hated flash, and I've never had a decent reason to hate it either. For years I just flat out refused to install flash on any computer I owned, but recently it has become more and more impossible to avoid it.

I love the idea of interactive, animated, futuristic internet where the whole browser comes alive. Don't get me wrong; I don't think the internet should all be html or anything like that. I just hate adobe, and I hate the idea of something so powerful and widespread like flash is being propitiatory and subject to the whims and bs of a single corporation. We need an open source, standardized option to replace flash once and for all. Html5 will help a bit, but even with < canvas > and all that it is definitely lacking.

Personally, I don't like Flash that much either, it is too slow and can cause browser instability. I just want it on iOS because it is very mainstream and almost impossible to avoid.

The problem is that some websites rely on Flash and you can't use the website without it, which can be really annoying on iOS.

And is that the fault of the end user or the developer?

If companies want us to browse their websites and buy their products they can easily sense the browser and the browser capabilities and have a version of their website that looks perfect and is easily navigable on our device.

• 2 weeks later...
If companies want us to browse their websites and buy their products they can easily sense the browser and the browser capabilities and have a version of their website that looks perfect and is easily navigable on our device.
Yes, but the problem is that companies don't bother making their sites compatible with iOS. Many sites I use right now require Flash for use and it is really annoying <_<

Until either the iOS software supports Flash or the developer makes compatibility for iOS, the user is left with no other choice but to leave the site. The question is, which person should take the move of making the site compatible.

This is where Piwik and other statistics are extremely helpful to the developer, since they can discover how many of their customers are 'missing out' on their website experience, and judge whether they should make effort into making their site compatible.

The App Store also comes into play here, as the developer may wish to create a completely native version of their website for the iOS devices if the statistics show a reasonably high amount of traffic coming from iOS devices.

Guest Geoff

In my opinion, apple is doing us all a favor by not supporting flash. iOS is slowly, but surely, causing less websites to depend on flash than would have been previously dependent.

Html5 will help a bit, but even with < canvas > and all that it is definitely lacking.

I have to disagree. Just look at what can be done without flash.

I have to disagree. Just look at what can be done without flash.

Yeah, I've seen all the demos and even written a few myself. My biggest disappointment came when I was in the process of writing a puzzle type canvas where you would basically work your way through a game in the browser and then get a tidbit of information at the end as a game over type reward.

Anyways, I know flash is easy enough to reverse engineer and people could easily extract my end game information without actually jumping through my hoops, but I realized with html5 is was almost like the information was sitting right out in the open for them to just look at rather than even bother with the game. I managed to find a few tedious ways to obfuscate the information, but it's kind of annoying. Some sort of compiling would be nice in that situation.

In my opinion, apple is doing us all a favor by not supporting flash. iOS is slowly, but surely, causing less websites to depend on flash than would have been previously dependent.

That is very true and for that I thank Apple. It's just annoying when you want to play a game or something and you can't because the lack of support.

Guest Geoff
Anyways, I know flash is easy enough to reverse engineer and people could easily extract my end game information without actually jumping through my hoops, but I realized with html5 is was almost like the information was sitting right out in the open for them to just look at rather than even bother with the game.

If you used a minifier it would actually be about the same: spend 30 seconds decompiling w/ SoThink, or spend 30 seconds beautifying with jsbeautifier.

If you used a minifier it would actually be about the same: spend 30 seconds decompiling w/ SoThink, or spend 30 seconds beautifying with jsbeautifier.

Thanks for the tip. I knew about those, but I hadn't thought about it as a solution. I'll keep that in mind if I ever come across a situation where I care if people are reading my code again.

• 2 weeks later...