How to access my webpage without name servers

jagzjagz

you can edit your HOSTS file to point your domain to our IP.

Little confused.. I can't access cpanel because my domain name isn't pointed to you guys right now.. so where can I edit this hosts file?

I just need a web URL that points to my website that is currently on your servers.. (Maybe because I've never used anything but cpanel.. that could be why I'm more confused than I should be!)

Guest Geoff
Little confused.. I can't access cpanel because my domain name isn't pointed to you guys right now.

Login through the heliohost homepage (http://heliohost.org)

so where can I edit this hosts file?

Depends what your operating system is. If you post your OS I could probably tell you.

I just need a web URL that points to my website that is currently on your servers..

What you are referring to is the IP of your site, but the problem is that your site is probably on a shared IP. Therefore, visiting that IP won't bring up your site, it will only bring up the Account Queued page.

Little confused.. I can't access cpanel because my domain name isn't pointed to you guys right now.

Login through the heliohost homepage (http://heliohost.org)

so where can I edit this hosts file?

Depends what your operating system is. If you post your OS I could probably tell you.

I just need a web URL that points to my website that is currently on your servers..

What you are referring to is the IP of your site, but the problem is that your site is probably on a shared IP. Therefore, visiting that IP won't bring up your site, it will only bring up the Account Queued page.

Right.. but isn't there usually an IP with a path that allows me access based on username? i.e., x.x.x.x.x/~username ? that ends up going to the site ?

(I'm supposed to edit my hosts file locally?! Sorry.. I guess not pointing the nameservers to you guys makes everything a lot more complicated than I thought..)

Every user is on the same IP address, unless you are prepared to pay $12 for a dedicated IP. ;)

As an alternative, you can edit your HOSTS file on your local computer. If you wish to do this (fairly easy), please post your OS (Windows, Mac, etc) here. ;)

Guest Geoff
Right.. but isn't there usually an IP with a path that allows me access based on username? i.e., x.x.x.x.x/~username ? that ends up going to the site ?

Apache checks the location header to find out which site do display. By doing it this way, we can reuse one IP for many sites, saving $12 for each site. For a more detailed explanation, google HTTP 1.1 headers.

When you visit that IP, your browser will send the IP address as the location header, and apache will display the queued page because there will be no record for your site.

Every user is on the same IP address, unless you are prepared to pay $12 for a dedicated IP. ;)

As an alternative, you can edit your HOSTS file on your local computer. If you wish to do this (fairly easy), please post your OS (Windows, Mac, etc) here. ;)

Sure thing - Using Windows 7!

Guest Geoff

Run this command (replacing yourdomain.com with your domain)

nslookup yourdomain.com ns1.heliohost.org

Copy the resulting IP, then open this file:

%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add the following line to the file noted above:

[resulting ip]                          [yourdomain.com]

Replace the resulting ip and yourdomain with the appropriate values. Do not include the brackets.

Please google "CMD" if you don't have any clue about how to do the above before posting back.

I updated my nameservers to point somewhere else (temporarily).

How do I access my web page through http:// without entering my domain name?

Hindsight may be 20/20, but this is why I have krydos.heliohost.org and then use parked/addon domains. If I point the nameservers somewhere else I can still access all my sites even if it isn't as pretty as a nice .com url or whatever. I remember when I signed up for the account having the choice of making a url that you can addon to as many domains as you want, or just having a non-heliohost.org type url. I also seem to recall the walk through text strongly recommending the first option for just this reason. Perhaps the admins can add the heliohost type address after the fact? I wouldn't know.