Node.js Memory & CPU usage test

Can an admin run the hello world express sample code and let me know how much cpu & memory usage it consumes? I find it strange that such a small simple application can use 100GB of memory and 100% cpu usage causing those who choose to use Node.js for their site to get suspended almost immediately. I think there is more to this than “Run Node.js Get Suspended!”. I know of another hosting provider that is mainly Node.js and they provide 512MB of RAM on shared servers with no issues.

Edited by Ookma-Kyi

I know of another hosting provider that is mainly Node.js and they provide 512MB of RAM

That's more than 7x what we provide considering they almost certainly measure it as continuous usage (our 100GB/day is a cumulative sum that translates to only about 70MB continuous). An empty node app can use 60+ continuously on a good day to sit there and do nothing, depending on what modules you load.

Ok, so now I understand the issue. The issue isn't really Node.js, it's that there isn't enough RAM in the server itself to provide everyone 512MB. That is 10K+ users 512MB of RAM or 5.12 TB of RAM. One thing I do know is instead of using physical servers they use AWS containers. The only thing I can't figure out is how are they able to afford it if 512MB per user project is the free plan? The paid "pro" plan is 2GB of RAM on up to 5 projects for $98 a year. Additionally the free plan has no ads.🧐

The margins are probably so large on the paid plan that they can eat the cost of small containers. It’s also completely possible that they require a crapload of information to sign up and then they sell it for marketing purposes.

We also own our hardware so don’t have the scale that someone reselling AWS would which is why we can’t afford to offer more resources for this.

3 hours ago, wolstech said:

The margins are probably so large on the paid plan that they can eat the cost of small containers. It’s also completely possible that they require a crapload of information to sign up and then they sell it for marketing purposes.

We also own our hardware so don’t have the scale that someone reselling AWS would which is why we can’t afford to offer more resources for this.

What do you mean by “their margins are so large that they can eat up the costs”? They only require your email address to register.

I mean that the amount it costs them to provide that paid plan is likely a lot less than what they're charging for it. They sell it for $98/year, but it could be costing them a fraction of that in AWS bills. If they're making, say, $50 in profit on that plan, they could just use some of that to cover the cost of the free plans (i.e. they spend $20 to host the free users, and just consider $30 to be profit instead of $50). To them, that $20 spent on the free plan would be considered a marketing cost since it likely converts people into paid users quite a bit.

Also, while we don't offer a decent free node option due to the cost of our servers, we're cheaper when you compare the paid plans:

Them: $98/year for '5 projects' and 2GB RAM, presumably node only.

HelioHost: $75/year for Venus VPS running Node with 2GB RAM (same as them), root access (unlike a container in a shared AWS environment), has no project count or other limits, and you can also run other non-node things on it if you want.

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 10:59 AM, wolstech said:

Also, while we don't offer a decent free node option due to the cost of our servers, we're cheaper when you compare the paid plans:

Them: $98/year for '5 projects' and 2GB RAM, presumably node only.

HelioHost: $75/year for Venus VPS running Node with 2GB RAM (same as them), root access (unlike a container in a shared AWS environment), has no project count or other limits, and you can also run other non-node things on it if you want.

No worries, was simply asking because a lot of the suspensions were due to this. I wanted to know the exact reason why it was happening instead of giving a generic “it sucks and if you use it you’re most likely going to get suspended” answer.

EDIT: Also my project is open source and therefore it is not making any money that I reinvest into infrastructure (VPS ). Additionally I am unable to afford to pay for my project's need resources ( IDE, Hosting, Accessibility etc. ) myself out of pocket for personal reasons.

Edited by Ookma-Kyi