Sparkie Reboot

Krydos

We're going to be rebooting Sparkie soon to hopefully speed up the raid array rebuild for Johnny. Our main website will remain online, but you won't be able to do some functions like logging in, or resetting a password. The forum will be completely unaffected, and will continue operating as usual. Tommy users will be unable to login through heliohost.org, but will still be able to login directly at tommy2.heliohost.org. Some of our VPS customers located on Sparkie will be rebooted as well. We're still hopeful that we will be able to get Johnny back online and running soon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cgeek01 said:

I thought Sparkie was shut down.

Johnny was shut down. sparkie is the server that hosts johnny, Lily and a few VPSes.

21 minutes ago, MoneyBroz said:

Johnny was shut down. sparkie is the server that hosts johnny, Lily and a few VPSes.

Oh, ok. I thought in 2021 that Ricky had a large server load and caused it to be closed permanently.

33 minutes ago, cgeek01 said:

I thought Sparkie was shut down.

Sparkie is a vmware ESXi server. The -ie names are all physical boxes, the servers with -y names are VMs living on the -ie boxes.

The physical boxes have various data stores made up of groups of disks. In Sparkie's case, there's 3 groups of disks forming 3 datastores (DS1, DS2, DS3) that store the VMs and virtual disks.

The disk group that held DS2 is what failed. DS2 only contained the virtual disks for the /home and mysql/pgsql data partitions for Johnny, so Johnny broke. DS1 and DS3 are fine, which is why there isn't a more severe outage. The other virtual servers on the Sparkie hardware are working normally. Those include Lily (Windows hosting), Cody (an account management server), and VPSes rented by customers.

3 minutes ago, cgeek01 said:

Oh, ok. I thought in 2021 that Ricky had a large server load and caused it to be closed permanently.

Ricky was ultimately done away with due to the cPanel license being revoked. It ran for a while afterwards without a control panel until we transferred all the accounts off it, then we retired it. We currently don't have a Plesk license to rebuild it.

• Krydos locked this topic