MOST widely acceptable web programming language

MOST widely acceptable web programing language  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As title, which web programming language is most widely accepted?

Different browsers support different language standard.

Some pages can only be displayed in IE, not FF, some only can be displayed in FF, not IE.

Talking about Opera, some said that it can display more types of langauge standard.

I've conducted a survey in another forum, some said Flash is most widely accepted, because as long as you can Flash plugin, you can view all the contents. Is that true?

About CSS, I found many problems in FF with CSS. IE can display most CSS well, but not FF.

Conclusion, aaaaaaaargh... choosing a language to develope a web is making me scratching my head till I bleed!!

Do remind me to add more choices if you think there's something out of the above choices.

i have some doubts as to wether css qualifies as a programming lang but in my view it is the most universal on the list.

correct me if i'm wrong but most browsers come supporting it, hence there's no need for extra plugins to get it to work. I dont know about there but around here people are WAY to ignorant, lazy, or scared to get the toppings.

But then again i might be wrong

PHP, being serverside, is pretty good at serving all browsers. Browsers just see HTML when you code in PHP.

CSS is tricky. You can make it so that some browsers will ignore attributes set for other browsers, but that's painful to do.

Flash is alright, but a browser can *not* support flash, for example, an all text browser won't be able see flash, period. Then all your hard work goes down the tubes.

Well.. I'm quite shocked to see that someone voted CSS.

CSS isn't really progrmaming standard, but I've put in here, the main objective is just to survey which language is most widely accepted.

I'm not so agree with phoexer, CSS is accepted by all browsers, but not all browsers displayed the same thing. Some browser might display the content a lil' bit out of the table, which I don't really like. (Well... this problem occur less often now.)

Well.. Flash is my favourite, as long as you have the plug in, you can display it in any browser.

which web programming language is most widely accepted by browsers?

I don't mean to be picky, but this statement lends one to believe that some of your choices are incorrect and there are some key languages missing. When you say, "accepted by browsers", that to me means client side scripting. In my opinion PHP, JSP, and ASP are server side languages. In fact, ASP is defined more as a scripting engine than a language. The programming language behind ASP is usually VBScript, but can also be JScript or another language supported by the web server. As you said, CSS like HTML isn't a programming language. Style Sheets were created to provide an easy way to format your HTML.

I'm sure I may be missing some client side scripting languages, but the biggies would have to be VBScript, JScript, and JavaScript. Of those I would have to say JavaScript is the most widely accepted by browsers.

I don't mean to be picky, but this statement lends one to believe that some of your choices are incorrect and there are some key languages missing. When you say, "accepted by browsers", that to me means client side scripting. In my opinion PHP, JSP, and ASP are server side languages. In fact, ASP is defined more as a scripting engine than a language. The programming language behind ASP is usually VBScript, but can also be JScript or another language supported by the web server. As you said, CSS like HTML isn't a programming language. Style Sheets were created to provide an easy way to format your HTML.

I'm sure I may be missing some client side scripting languages, but the biggies would have to be VBScript, JScript, and JavaScript. Of those I would have to say JavaScript is the most widely accepted by browsers.

Well... it's hard to specify the question you know. Since programming branches out like an old tree.

What I really meant is the language that can be displayed exactly as programmers want in most browser.

PHP, well... not really....

CSS, not all browser display the same thing as programmers want, so happened the same to DHTML,

while JS, hmmmm... I 've met some side that use JS to make drop down menu, sadly, IE and FF displayed some difference on the coordinate.

Well.. I'm quite shocked to see that someone voted CSS.

CSS isn't really progrmaming standard, but I've put in here, the main objective is just to survey which language is most widely accepted.

Hey JcX, my first line was, and i quote.

i have some doubts as to wether css qualifies as a programming lang but...

Sure, go ahead and hang me for using it as my choice.

Phoexer, I wasn't trying to make any offense. Afterall, I just would like to know which language is accepted universally.

I'll respect whatever votes be given here :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I vote PHP. CSS is a good (strike that, great) idea to use for laying out web pages, but I wouldn't call it a programming language. On the other hand, I wouldn't call Python a programming language either, but a scripting language.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What you mean by that?

PHP ASP is the most competitive languages of all, while JSP is a slightly non-popular type (in my opinion)

They're all deeply related to browsers as the browser read them and display to us.