Issues setting up addon domains

jbbdude

I am trying to create two addon domains. I want their document roots to be outside public_html (such that the folders are not accessible as subfolders of the main domain). If possible, I also want the subdomains to forward to the addon domains.

• [a].[domain]
    subdomain [a](.jbbdude.heliohost.org)
    root /[a]
  • .[domain]
    subdomain
    root /

Initially, the addon domain page kept modifying the roots to include public_html, i.e. /public_html/[a] rather than /[a]. I tried editing those entries. I then tried to delete the addon domains and re-add them correctly. However, I keep getting the error "The domain “[a].[domain]” already exists in the Apache configuration." for both domains. They do appear as options on the subdomain creation page, and in the zone editor. I cannot find any place or page where I can fully delete domains I have previously added.

a) Can these domains be deleted from the Johnny Apache config? I suspect this requires admin intervention.

b ) Can I force cPanel to let me use a directory outside of /public_html for the roots?

c) Can I redirect all visits to the associated subdomain to the actual addon domain?

d) Is there any way to tell what went wrong and how?

[Edit: removed domain and subdomain specifics]

Edited by jbbdude

I am trying to create two addon domains. I want their document roots to be outside public_html (such that the folders are not accessible as subfolders of the main domain). If possible

We don't permit document roots to be outside of public_html for various reasons. This is by design. We recommend dropping a .htaccess file in public_html that denies access to the other document roots if this is a concern.

a) Can these domains be deleted from the Johnny Apache config? I suspect this requires admin intervention.

b ) Can I force cPanel to let me use a directory outside of /public_html for the roots?

c) Can I redirect all visits to the associated subdomain to the actual addon domain?

d) Is there any way to tell what went wrong and how?

A. There's multiple issues here. First, we don't officially support subdomains when the parent isn't hosted here.

If it's like a properly configured domain though, the fix is likely to manually create the subdomains web.jbbdude.jbbdude.heliohost.org, and fantasytv.jbbdude.jbbdude.heliohost.org. (See below for an explanation why this works to fix an addon domain).

B. This is intentionally forbidden. See above.

C. Use an .htaccess file or add a line of code in your index.php (or equivalent) to do it.

D. Johnny is famous for this. Addon domains are actually an Alias pointed to a subdomain of your main domain. The error in question is what happens when the addon domain gets parked to a nonexistent subdomain. The addon domain process times out and fails half way through before the subdomain gets created because of his load. Tommy and Ricky don't have this issue.