Python - Django

Bailey

Hello,

Has anyone got any good tutorials or any help they could offer, I want to learn Django as Im secure with python but I cant seem to get Django setup! I want to start and rewrite my website ...again from php.

Ive seen the one on the wiki but couldnt get my head around it.

Thanks in advance,

Bailey

Django is widely considered to be the most difficult-to-use thing that we offer. The wiki article is the only working tutorial that I know of. The rest of your program is up to you. If you're having trouble with the tutorial, how far have you gotten and what specifically do you need help with on it (Krydos knows the most about it, I've never personally tried django, I'm a PHP developer almost exclusively)?

PHP is a much easier language to develop in, at least in my opinion. It's not picky about things like whitespace, and it doesn't have any format or framework you're constrained by (unless you choose to use one of the many that exist). As long as your syntax is correct, it just works. PHP's flexibility can be seen as a bad thing in many people's eyes though since it can promote the production of bad code.

Hello Wolstech,

I've gotten as far as installing but can't seam to set up the localhost aspect of it. Being a web developer I obviously know about localhost but can't get my head around using Django to do it . And I know a lot about PHP but I'm currently doing my Computer Science GCSE and the AQA exam board uses python so I feel that, aswell as a new experience, it will help with me get to know and help with me using python in my exam.

And with help, once I've got the localhost/environment setup I should be fine but it's getting that started!

Thanks,

Bailey

You don't need virtualenv. For some reason a lot of python guides always say you need it. The next step is to go to command prompt at the directory you want your django project to be and run the command

django-admin startproject hello
Like it says at http://wiki.helionet.org/Django#Getting_started_with_Django_1.10

Here is another guide https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/intro/tutorial01/

I am using Windows and already have python etc installed.

My python version is 3.6.x

Thanks

Offtopic but I remember working on Windows, it was a horrible experience.

Have you tried running Linux on your machine?

I recommend Solus (https://solus-project.com) which is a x86_64-only Linux desktop OS, it comes as a live CD so you can try it out before you install.

Linux is great!

Also, @Krydos you should try out solus :)

Also, @Krydos you should try out solus :)

You should have said something sooner. I just installed Ubuntu 17 on my new laptop last night.
Never too late.. if you have a separate /home :)

Then again, if you don't: I would recommend Solus. And a separate /home never hurt anyone... I remember installing over 5 distros on my craptop to test each one. I settled on Solus.