Best Backend  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would have to say Ruby. I haven't tried ASP.NET or Perl yet, but I'd like to. Ruby's syntax, to me, is...amazing. Not only is it readable, it's also very clear as to what is happening with the code (most the time). Shoutout to Heliohost for finally giving me a place where I can use it. :) You can do a lot of things with Ruby from what I've seen -- Twitter is built on RoR, as well as Github (I believe). Of course, Facebook was coded with PHP, and Google+ was made with Python (pretty sure) so...well, I suppose all the server-side languages have their advantages. I don't like PHP as much as Python or Ruby. It seems kind of hard to work with to me, which is strange because I *really* like the C family of languages. If I could find a place to use Node, I'd be all over it. Too bad Heliohost doesn't support it. I suppose there's enough going on here already though.

Also gonna have to say PHP. Easy to learn, can be OO or procedural, not picky about things that others are (looking at you python...), and the errors it generates when you screw up are actually somewhat meaningful in most cases.

After reading this thread again I see the most popular choice is most definitely PHP. For all the people who posted, you should give the other languages a chance. I think you'll like them ;) It's odd to me that you three think PHP is the best -- I don't think it's easy to understand a'tall. Of course, I guess you might think differently in terms of coding...still, you should try Ruby if you've not already. It's *amazing* (as I said before).

I think PHP is easy because it is alike 'C' Programming which I know the best, and I can't use C programming as Backend, I prefer PHP. It's syntax is also very easy to understand. Also, there is no need to define variables before using them like we have to do in other programming languages.

I think PHP is easy because it is alike 'C' Programming which I know the best, and I can't use C programming as Backend, I prefer PHP. It's syntax is also very easy to understand. Also, there is no need to define variables before using them like we have to do in other programming languages.

Could've sworn that the signup page said you can use C++ and C CGI...hmm. I've been trying to get a C++ CGI file to work but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm probably doing something wrong :P Not even sure if you compile a C++ file when you're using it as CGI. I do understand your reasoning...but I don't want to be going back and forth in a 'Ruby's syntax is better!' 'no, PHP!' 'Ruby rules!'. Haha anyway, thanks for explaining it a bit more.

I told that I can't use 'C' Programming or 'C++' as backend because it needs to be compiled again and again and I can just run 2 cron jobs a day. So, I wouldn't get that much time for testing. It needs to be compiled on the server it is intended to be run on.

I also know Ruby till some extent, it seems easy. I am not saying that Ruby is bad or something like that. I had also thought of shifting to Ruby, but many hosts dont offer Ruby as option, and Heliohost provides it on Johhny but it is not stable, so I chose PHP on stevie.

• 2 weeks later...